Midi Sync problem with fantom 6,7,8

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
rupertcr

Midi Sync problem with fantom 6,7,8

Post by rupertcr »

Hi I'm using the Fantom6 keyboard
Getting Sync problem on keyboard.
I have Sync/Temp set to slave & usb
If I start play or record the keyboard does not beat in time with the multitrackstudio click track, this mayor problem with rhythm track recording.
When the drums rhythms plays they are not in sink with the click track from the multitrackstudio.
However the Fantom6 seems to be controlled by multitrackstudio if I increase or decrease the tempo the keyboard responds.
If I repeatedly start stop the play back each time the sync varies from none to half a bar this seems to eliminating latency.
I had fantom help line set up exactly the same scenario with the computer and software and it's been duplicated at a remote site. This rule out my hardware and setting.
As there is not many options for this function any help would be much appreciated
Any body else have this issue?
Support

Re: Midi Sync problem with fantom 6,7,8

Post by Support »

rupertcr wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:48 am I have Sync/Temp set to slave & usb
What exactly is that supposed to do? Does it listen for MIDI clock or SMPTE?

Note that MultitrackStudio doesn't send sync code by default. You have to switch on in Studio-->Devices (click the Options button in the Midi Out Devices section).

Giel Bremmers
rupertcr

Post by rupertcr »

Hi
Sorry for the slow reply but I'm not familiar with this user group set out and didn't see you message.

I have set the MIDI output device options
send sync code : MIDI clock
If I start recording with multitrackstudio the keyboard seems to follows sync for the first time. However if i restart play back/record again the keyboard will start but is not in sync with multitrackstudio.
Not sure why keyboard not following midi sync.?
If I change multitrackstudio BPM the keyboard follow the speed change but is not in sync?
Meaning the beats are not aligned.
What can I do to ?
Support

Post by Support »

Please open the song you're using, and then send a report (see https://www.multitrackstudio.com/contact.php). This will give me a bit more information.

Giel Bremmers
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks for the report. I see you're not recording MIDI tracks in MultitrackStudio, but you're trying to sync the keyboard's sequencer to MultitrackStudio. That's what I was guessing.

I double-checked the MIDI Clock, and I don't see any potential problem with that.

Another potential problem could be the ASIO driver reporting incorrect positions. You could try the Windows driver type instead and see if that solves the problem. You can select that in Studio-->Devices.

Giel Bremmers
rupertcr

Post by rupertcr »

Hi
The report I sent thru was just with a click track so that there would be no other things that may react to cause a problem. As this is the start of a new song.
I record all keyboard sounds as midi track first then convert them later to audio.

I tried setting to windows but same problem no change.

However it seems that the keyboard gets the midi stop signal but doesn't reset on next restart play/record but continues from where it stop.?

Second problem getting some midi notes that hang on not releasing. This usual happens the the same not so I delete all the not and replace them very annoying any suggestions.

Regards Rupert
Support

Post by Support »

rupertcr wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 am The report I sent thru was just with a click track so that there would be no other things that may react to cause a problem. As this is the start of a new song.
I record all keyboard sounds as midi track first then convert them later to audio.
OK, in that case we're on the wrong track (pun intended).

Please switch off the MIDI Clock in MTS again. You won't need it.

Also, please go the Studio-->Remote Control. Click the Device button and remove the Fantom from the Out box.
rupertcr wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 am Second problem getting some midi notes that hang on not releasing. This usual happens the the same not so I delete all the not and replace them very annoying any suggestions.
There's probably a 'MIDI loop', where the keyboard sends an event to MTS, and MTS sends it back again to the keyboard etc.
In MTS you can switch off the "Recording Connection". That's in the same window where the MIDI Clock setting is.
This should do the trick. Alternatively you could probably switch off a similar setting in the keyboard. I've seen it in the manual but I forgot its name.

Giel Bremmers
rupertcr

Post by rupertcr »

Thanks for you reply I tried your suggestion

1. Regards the "midi click sync issue" if I dont select "midi sync" (in the device options) the keyboard rhythm does not follow the tempo set in MTS. The roland Fantom comes with great preprogramed pattern which I wish to use so I need to snyc with MTS.
I found a "temp work around"
If I reset both MTS & Rtythm on the keyboard each time I start/stop. The fantom will follows MTS annoying but it works.
Is there anything else could be the problem?

2. I have not had any midi note problems for a while so I think your suggestion did the trick.

3. I am have problem with the MTS freezing & I get a error message "BUFFER UNDERRUN (Audio out). This happens usually when I first open a new session while playing/recording. What I have to do is to clear the message and retry to play/record then message will reappear several time (4-6) then seems to be ok. I have tried reboot,restart MTS,restart Fantom all to no effect the message will reappear. This error only occurs when I am using MTS.
Help?

4. I purchased a midi file containing 16 midi tracks when I import it into MTS it comes in as one midi track. When I select "edit" this track it appear like what you see in the "Multi MIDI editor" screen. Is there any way to extract them to individual midi tracks?

Regards
Rupert
Support

Post by Support »

rupertcr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 am 1. Regards the "midi click sync issue" if I dont select "midi sync" (in the device options) the keyboard rhythm does not follow the tempo set in MTS. The roland Fantom comes with great preprogramed pattern which I wish to use so I need to snyc with MTS.
I found a "temp work around"
If I reset both MTS & Rtythm on the keyboard each time I start/stop. The fantom will follows MTS annoying but it works.
Is there anything else could be the problem?
What do you mean by "reset MTS & Rtythm"? Rewind all the way to the beginning?
rupertcr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 am 3. I am have problem with the MTS freezing & I get a error message "BUFFER UNDERRUN (Audio out). This happens usually when I first open a new session while playing/recording. What I have to do is to clear the message and retry to play/record then message will reappear several time (4-6) then seems to be ok. I have tried reboot,restart MTS,restart Fantom all to no effect the message will reappear. This error only occurs when I am using MTS.
Help?
Do your songs have audio tracks? Reading audio files can become very slow if a virus scanner scans them while MTS reads them.

Perhaps you can isolate the problem by disengaging track Play buttons one at a time.

rupertcr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 am 4. I purchased a midi file containing 16 midi tracks when I import it into MTS it comes in as one midi track. When I select "edit" this track it appear like what you see in the "Multi MIDI editor" screen. Is there any way to extract them to individual midi tracks?
Click the track's name box and choose "Split Streams".

Giel Bremmers
rupertcr

Post by rupertcr »

Thanks for you reply
1. Sync problem
No dont have go back to start in MTS just deselect rhythm on fantom and reselect rhythm then start on MTS seems to work.

Will try other suggestion and let you know how I go

Thanks again
Rupert
Support

Post by Support »

rupertcr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:39 pm 1. Sync problem
No dont have go back to start in MTS just deselect rhythm on fantom and reselect rhythm then start on MTS seems to work.
Do you need to do that if you start the song from the beginning?

MIDI Clock works a little bit different if you start from a later position. I could imagine something goes wrong there. Starting from the beginning is very straightforward though, if would be surprising if that doesn't work.

Giel Bremmers