MTS and 32-bit float file import

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
tmon

MTS and 32-bit float file import

Post by tmon »

RIght now, can MTS handle 32-bit float files, or do they have to be "pre-mixed" prior to import? I know they can be imported but aren't projects limited to 24-bit maximum bitrate? I'm a bit unclear about this.

I am considering recording band rehearsals in 32-bit float via a new digital recorder (not yet purchased) and possibly using MTS for mixing/overdubbing...jazz can have a lot more dynamic range than pop and rock, and I'm kind of liking the security of having extra dynamic range to work with - traditionally, I set initial gain to loud snare hits, but when things get going with a grand piano, sax and the full drum kit...sometimes clipping does happen and I can't engineer and play bass at the same time and digital limiters don't always work for long stretches of loud ensemble playing...more digital recorders are starting to offer the option of 32-bit float recording...e.g. the Zoom f-series already has had it, Sound Design recorders and the new Tascam Portacapture X8, for example...
Support

Re: MTS and 32-bit float file import

Post by Support »

There's no 24 bit limit in MTS.

I doubt using 32 bit float files would actually make a difference for recording purposes though. Virtually all analog to digital converters are 24 bits max, so there actually isn't any headroom/dynamic range available that won't fit a 24 bit file.

Giel Bremmers
tmon

Post by tmon »

Most MTS users won't need it. It's more for people that need more dynamic range than basic blues/rock/pop genres, such as jazz, classical and environmental sound field recordists.

https://youtu.be/8lRVnMO14k8
tmon

Post by tmon »

I think also that the noise floor with 24-bit recording is safe for most of us....e.g. If I set gain level peaks at -12 to -16, I'm usually safe...there's a lot of hype around this and don't want to mislead anyone...

Not to mention that the bottom line is the quality of the music itself is the main thing!