Newly occurring: Tracking volume changes upon playback.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NoTech

Newly occurring: Tracking volume changes upon playback.

Post by NoTech »

Good day,

I am experiencing a strange and sudden/new problem in MTS when I record a track and play/monitor it back.

If I for example record a mono guitar track I as usual, set my levels so they are suitable- i.e., only briefly in the yellow and never in the red. However when I then play the track back, ~it's level is both visibly and audibly less than what it was recorded at~. This is very strange and frustrating. I have never had this problem in my couple of years using MTS (Pro). As an experiment, I will record a track "into the red" to test.. and upon playback, it is in the yellow level, at least. Conversely there seems to be a similar sound degradation as when recording "into the red" as well, despite the playback-level reducing from it's overdriven tracked position.

Despite restarting the computer and program, the problem is recurring.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Have I inadvertently set something wrong in the program's universal settings or something? I can't seem to remedy the issue.

If it matters, I have not yet upgraded to the latest MTS OS.. but I have not changed my Mac OS either.

Thank you-

NT
Support

Re: Newly occurring: Tracking volume changes upon playback.

Post by Support »

Recording and playback meter levels aren't the same thing. The recording level is the incoming audio signal. The playback level is affected by fader position, pan position and any effects.

You'd probably have to set the fader position to +3dB to make the playback meter level equal to the recording meter level. That's because pan knobs reduce the level by 3dB if the knob is at center position. But there's no point in making the playback meter level equal to the recording meter level.

Giel Bremmers
NoTech

Re: Newly occurring: Tracking volume changes upon playback.

Post by NoTech »

Mr. Bremmer,

Thank you for your consistent attention to your work and users.

I appreciate the information. As you answered with your points, I will go back to work and see if I can learn(?) to track on MTS Pro in a newer way, as the occurrence ~does~ seem to be a new event? As I mentioned when tracking before, I was (unusually, I guess?) able to rely on my input level matching my playback levels (with uneffected and un-panned tracks), therefore always being secure in what was going in.

Perhaps I shall find new benefits.

Thank you
NT