MTS MIDI track adding notes on Korg NS5R

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
glevans

MTS MIDI track adding notes on Korg NS5R

Post by glevans »

I know this synth module is old, but it still sounds great. I have no problem driving it from my keyboard or other sequencer, but when driving from MTS (even a dead-simple track like a click track) the NS5R plays (simultaneous) multiple notes rather than the single ones recorded. Also, the bank & patch selects start out correct at the beginning of the sequence but the patch jumps around. MTS isn't doing this on other synth modules. Any thoughts?
Support

Re: MTS MIDI track adding notes on Korg NS5R

Post by Support »

Perhaps there's a MIDI loop. You can try switching off the 'recording connection' in the MIDI Out Device Options window (see https://multitrackstudio.com/midioutcontrol.php). I don't think this would make a difference if you're just playing back a single track though.

Can you say more about "the NS5R plays (simultaneous) multiple notes"? Are they the same notes? Do they play at the same time?

Are you using Windows or Mac?

Giel Bremmers
glevans

Post by glevans »

Thanks for the quick response.

I got it sorted out, but it's still a head-scratcher for me.

Background: I'm using WIN10 & MTS 10.1. I am using only one MIDI out device (an M-Audio MTrack Plus). My MIDI "patchbay" is a homebrew that simply selects one (only) input for each instrument. Regardless of MTS settings, a MIDI loop would have to be allowed in the patchbay, eg with the PC listening to the synth module while the module was listening to the PC...I made sure this wasn't happening (synth unit was "listening" to the PC, but the PC input was set to "none"). The synth module has no sequencing capability. Still, I deselected all the recording input settings, to no avail.

It turns out the culprit was the Sync Code setting: when I set it to "none" or "MIDI Clock" things worked as expected. Each of the other three (MTC) settings yielded a different mixed-up audio signal from the synth module. In each case, I was hearing two or three drum "notes" (ie stick, kick, and brush) simultaneously at each metronome click, with an additional one added as the accent at each bar's first beat. Each different MTC setting resulted in a different combination of notes...again, on each beat, with an additional one as the accent.

Since it's no longer happening, I'm going to assume the random bank changes that were occurring when I stopped & restarted MTS were another manifestation of the synch setting.

So...problem solved, if not exactly understood.

I'm getting back into music after many years now that I'm retired and have a few extra minutes to rub together. This whole thing started because I was figuring out how to use MTS to drive my Korg D12 12-track workstation, which only responds to 30-frame MTC (which took a TON of time in THAT manual to discover!), so you can see how I arrived at the "presenting problem" in the first place by fiddling with the clock settings. My challenge going forward will be to remember to change them depending on which ancient piece of gear I'm using. (To be honest, at my age remembering ANYTHING is a challenge.)

Thanks again. Whew.

- Glenn
Support

Post by Support »

Strange. I thought perhaps the NS5R uses the MTC MIDI message for something else, but I haven't found anything in the Korg manual.

Giel Bremmers