MIDI import questions

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
marktaylor

MIDI import questions

Post by marktaylor »

Hi,
I have some MIDI import questions.
When I import a MIDI file with multiple channels/instruments, I expected each channel/instrument to load into a different track. It looks like MTS does not do this.
So, I did this manually. For each channel/instrument in the original MIDI file, I created a new MIDI track, then did copy/paste of the MIDI data to the new track. However, some of the channel numbers and instrument patch numbers got changed. Is this expected or did I make a mistake?
Would it be possible to implement a new feature, where MTS offers to do this automatically?
If I found a MIDI file with many channels/instruments, it would be tedious and error-prone, to copy the MIDI data manually.
thanks, Mark.
Support

Re: MIDI import questions

Post by Support »

You can click the track file name box and choose "Split Streams". This creates tracks for each instrument. Then you can remove the original track.

Giel Bremmers
marktaylor

Post by marktaylor »

Thanks for your help, Giel.
I must admit that I am finding it difficult to find features/buttons/things that are described in the manual.
Have you considered running training sessions for MTS?
marktaylor

Post by marktaylor »

Hi,
I hit other problems when I did copy/paste of midi data from one track to another.
There seemed to be controller data (e.g. reverb) that got copied into the track, which would switch on reverb when I did not want it. Even if I turned the reverb dial to zero, when playing the track, it would set itself back to 60 on the synth.
I looked in the midi editor, but I could not see controller data, only note data.
Addendum: when I did split stream (as you suggested), the reverb controller data did not seem to be copied, and reverb behaved as I would expect, and I when I set the reverb dial to zero, it stayed at zero on the synth.
Am I missing something?
Thanks.
marktaylor

Post by marktaylor »

I can see the controller data! A tiny triangular dot on the far left edge of the midi editor window, which is almost invisible! Can I suggest that the dots for controller data be made a bit bigger? About the same size as midi drum notes would be great.

I'm sorry to be asking so many newbie questions. I purchased MTS several years ago, but I have only just started using it properly to make music as a retirement hobby. I would be happy to pay for tutorial/training sessions.
regards, Mark.