curious workaround to crackling and popping

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Rocket88

curious workaround to crackling and popping

Post by Rocket88 »

I have finally found a workaround to stop MTS from crackling and popping on my windows system that outputs over an hdmi output (through an amd video card) to a tv. From the tv, it uses arc and optical outputs to a receiver or amp. Either method results in the crackling. Using a usb microphone headphone jack with built in sound card instead and there's no crackling.

The crackling occurs mostly on audio tracks, though it is also there to a lesser extend on midi tracks. The crackling on audio is 5 or 6 crackles and/or pops per second.

The workaround is to run either VLC or media player at the same time. I set MTS to pull mode and share in the devices.

I first run MTS, then while it's playing with crackling, I launch VLC on a video (with audio) and the crackling stops immediately. If I pause VLC it continues to work. If I click stop in VLC, the crackling immediately returns. When stopped, one can click play and it will work again (VLC knows what file to play when stopped, so I don't have to open the video first).

It is similar in windows media player, however, when media player is paused, the crackling begins again, so it's acting like VLC does when stopped. Unpausing WMP and the crackling in MTS stops again.

So, some resource or whatever that VLC or WMP uses stops the crackling. This is about 98% effective, as I do on occasion hear a pop or two but nothing like when MTS is running on its own and its good enough to work with.

I wonder if anyone else who has crackling problems in MTS can repeat this?