Midi volume export question.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
uncle808us

Midi volume export question.

Post by uncle808us »

When exporting MIDI from MTS does the Master Limiter play a part in the MIDI volume levels?
The reason I ask is when in MTS I have my volume levels set at “0.0” when I export to Logic 9 they come in reading “+1.9”.
What could be causing this?
Shouldn’t they be the same.
Thanks for the time.
Support

Re: Midi volume export question.

Post by Support »

uncle808us wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 am When exporting MIDI from MTS does the Master Limiter play a part in the MIDI volume levels?
No, audio effects have no effect on MIDI export
uncle808us wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 am Shouldn’t they be the same.
Well, no. MIDI numbers are 0..127. If it's 0.0 or 1.9 it's something the developer thought looks nice ;-)

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

@uncle808us This is likely to do with the automation that MTS exports with the MIDI and was touched on in this recent thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3121 . From what I can tell, Logic has a different idea of what 0.0db is and uses MIDI CC#7 value 90 as 0.0db. MTS will export a Volume CC#7 of 100 for its 0.0db and so when you import it into Logic then it reads 1.9db.

You should also be aware that there are Brightness, Reverb and Chorus automation values set. These can make audio plugins sound different when using the MIDI elsewhere as synths etc may react to these and modify the sound of a preset accordingly. I normally delete all of the automation when exporting, though of course it would be nice to have an option to not export it :wink:
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

I normally delete all of the automation when exporting,
In the link you provided I did not see how you delete all automation before exporting.
I may have missed it. Thanks for the explanation.
The small difference doesn’t cause me any problems.as I delete control and program from the imported tracks. As well as set all levels to 100.
By the way the guys at the Logic forum agree with you and think you did a good job explaining. As do I.
As usual I appreciate your time spent in responding.
MisplacedDevelopment

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

uncle808us wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:23 pm
I normally delete all of the automation when exporting,
In the link you provided I did not see how you delete all automation before exporting.
I do not believe you can remove/exclude these automations before exporting, I should have said that I remove them *after* exporting.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Thanks.