KORG O5R/W patchmap?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
hschultz1960

KORG O5R/W patchmap?

Post by hschultz1960 »

I guess the Subjects says it all, and should anyone immediately know what I am after, I would be happy to hear from you :-)

The longer explanation: I own one of the venerable KORG O5R/W sound modules that were extremely popular back in the 90's. Here 30 years later the module still powers up, and plays as great as ever.

I have just purhased MTS Standard Edition, and has hooked the KORG module up as external MIDI device. MIDI works both in and out, and Patch selection from MTS works.

The problem: I cannot get Bank selection to work reliably.

The KORG module has a "G" bank with the standard 128 GM voices, and an "A" bank which adds another 100 voices. When I power up the module, it starts out in the "G" Bank, and I can select all the GM standard voices using Prog 0-127. So far so good. I have found that if I then add a Bank number prefix in MTS, e.g. 0:1, the KORG module changes to the "A" bank, and I can now select Prog 0-99 from that. Fine and dandy.

But, now I am stuck, because no matter what I enter in the Prog field, e.g. "1" or "0:1" or "1:1 or any other bank number, the KORG module stays in the "A" bank. So I am thinking that it may require a SYSEX or something to change the banks between "G" and "A". What puzzles me is that MTS somehow CAN change the bank initially when I add a prefix, but not the other way around to get it back into GM mode. Is there a special Bank number that can be used to send a "Get into General Midi mode" ?

Hope this makes sense. Perhaps someone have fixed this using a custom patchmap, hence my request.

Cheers - Henrik, Copenhagen, Denmark
Support

Re: KORG O5R/W patchmap?

Post by Support »

The Korg manual, page 92 of english version, says the G bank has bank MSB = 38 hex, and bank LSB = 0.

38 hex = 56 decimal.

For example: Type "56:0:0" to get the first GM piano sound.

Giel Bremmers
hschultz1960

Re: KORG O5R/W patchmap?

Post by hschultz1960 »

Dear Giel -

Thank you SO much for your help! Wow, that was indeed quick. I can happily confirm that it solved my issue.

Truth been told, I do have a copy of the old KORG O5R/W manual, and I spent quite quite some time reading up on what I learned 30 years ago. I obviously missed the note about the MSB/LSB values (which I did notice in your MTS doumentation) and focused too much on alternative solutions.

Thank you for developing and maintaining the great piece of software that MTS is, I am looking forward to getting to know it better.

On a final note, has there ever been talks of a creating some sort of repository for patchmap files, that could be shared between MTS users, for instance in this forum?

Sincerely,
Henrik Schultz