Vocal track a slight bit off time

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Journey2hvn

Vocal track a slight bit off time

Post by Journey2hvn »

Hi Everyone .... Well I have the pro plus version 3.1 and well what I do is take a mp3 karaoke song and I put it on track 1 and then I add a track for my vocals ... Well for some strange reason that vocal track is like a hair off time with the music after I listen back, its a hair behind. I'm a timing freak so it's no due to my actual singing off time its something I'm not setting right maybe. I use the TASCAM US-122 for my outboard gear to add my vocals into my computer .... are there any suggestions ?
Jerry
Saz

Post by Saz »

Convert the mp3 to a wav file and use the wav file in MTS - instead of an mp3.
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Here is another test:

Play the backing track, either wav or mp3, and record it using the mic to a second track. Now use the tack editor to see how far out in time they are...

If that looks ok, then maybe you have to stand closer to the speaker when you sing :D

Pete
Journey2hvn

Post by Journey2hvn »

It only happens with some songs so it must be the changing the mp3 to a wav file is the answer. This song I recorded today I had no problems with the timing matching up.

http://www.familiesofaddiction.com/The% ... ix%20).mp3

Jerry
Saz

Post by Saz »

Journey2hvn wrote:It only happens with some songs so it must be the changing the mp3 to a wav file is the answer. This song I recorded today I had no problems with the timing matching up.

http://www.familiesofaddiction.com/The% ... ix%20).mp3

Jerry
Yeah - mp3's and wav files just don't play nice together.

It's best to stay with wav files for recording, mixing and mastering.

If you need to transfer audio files with the best quality for someone else to work on, converting the wav file to ape format works very well in shrinking the file size - they can convert it back to wav format easily with no loss. wma files can work too, but at far less quality.

Use mp3's or wma files to post your finished work for others to hear.

Nice song btw! :wink:
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Another trick i use is to download the backing tracks as a midi file, and use the sampler and soundfonts to give it a real sound then sing the vocals and it seems to work perfectly everytime, plus i get to choose what patches i want for the sound I like, some sound so real that it is scary. With the midi method, I can split the tracks apart and process them individually, with the fx that sound good to me.