is this right for me?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
fralexis

is this right for me?

Post by fralexis »

I have very limited needs for recording software. I want to record lectures for a small distribution group. I also want to record an a capella singing quartet and acoustic guitar solos. However, I want good quality. I need stereo recording, but that is about it. I am looking for software that will do this task with ease. Does this software seem to be appropriate for my uses? Thanks for your advice!
Saz

Re: is this right for me?

Post by Saz »

fralexis wrote:I have very limited needs for recording software. I want to record lectures for a small distribution group. I also want to record an a capella singing quartet and acoustic guitar solos. However, I want good quality. I need stereo recording, but that is about it. I am looking for software that will do this task with ease. Does this software seem to be appropriate for my uses? Thanks for your advice!
Hi fralexis,

If you are doing all of your mixing before you record, you don't really need "multitrack" software, but the demo version of MultitrackStudio would fit your needs.

However, if you need or want to add or mix more than a few parts in a recording, then the registered version of MultitrackStudio will work very well! :)
fralexis

Post by fralexis »

Thanks for your reply. I am a complete newbie, so please bear with a little question. I assume, with this program, a small mixer and a couple of microphones I can do what I want. Do I need a mixer with preamp? Any other hardware needed? Thanks.
Saz

Post by Saz »

fralexis wrote: I assume, with this program, a small mixer and a couple of microphones I can do what I want. Do I need a mixer with preamp?
You're right on the money on all counts! Of course how deep you want to get into it and the quality of sound you're seeking will determine how much money. :)

Check out this page for some hardware info... http://www.audiominds.com/gettingstarted/hardware.php

I've had good results with a mixer similar to this... http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB802

Mic choice is the hardest part - it's best if you can try them out locally or order from a store with a good return policy.

Also, the quality of the soundcard in your PC will mostly determine the quality of your finished sound. Most built-in soundcards are not that great - but passable. Just make sure to use the line input(s) of the soundcard when connecting your mixer - not the mic input(s).

HTH