GUITAR EFFECTS

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
bernie lamb

GUITAR EFFECTS

Post by bernie lamb »

Hi

Like many others who have already commented, I really like the range of effects supplied with MTS.

BUT, I'm also a bit of a novice when it comes to VST, etc. AND I'd love to know if anywhere anyone has come across emulation software for fuzz, American Lead, etc guitar effects that could be added to MTS.

If so, I'd appreciate a blow-by-blow method of adding these.

Thanks, experts!

Bernie
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hi Bernie!

There's a bunch of good free VST distortion plugins available. One of the better ones - actually a suite of them - is located here... http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Check here for more... http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/PLUGINS_VST/

Or do a Google search with this string - "vst distortion plug-in freeware"

When you download these, you will need to put them in your VSTplugins folder - it's usually located here... C:\Program Files\MtStudio\VSTplugins
That will allow MTS to find them. Then just right-click on an effects slot in a track, select VST Plugin and select the one you want to use.

If you plan on using them "live" or real-time, you need to select "Tape Type Monitoring" from the Recording menu. You'll need a fast, tweaked-for-audio PC for best results. This is from the MTS help file...
Tape Type Monitoring
If this options is activated recording audio tracks will send the signal they're recording to the Audio Out Device after having applied any effects. This way effects (like Reverb or Echo) can be played "live".

It is not recommended to use this feature as a means of monitoring the signal you're recording, as there is an inherent latency between the input and the output signal. Using a low latency will increase the risk of glitches in the recordings. All these problems can be avoided by using an analog mixer to mix the soundcard's input and output signals. Some soundcards have an onboard mixer.
Hope this helps,

John
bernie lamb

Post by bernie lamb »

Hi John

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll give it a go and let you hear the results!

Thanks again

Bernie
PowerRam

Guitar FX

Post by PowerRam »

:idea: I think the VST effect that goes by the name "JCM 900" (an obvious lift from Marshall, but apt, none the less) is an excellent unit and I intend to use it a lot.

Although I don't own a Marshall, I've used them on occasion and the GUI for this (although generic-looking) is laid out logically, just like the Plexi a friend of mine had, hot-rodded. And the sound is pretty convincing. 8)

There was also a guitar plug-in package that I downloaded just this week from Software Music Machine, reccomended in one of their "picks of the week" feature although not the current one. Haven't tried it yet, but they haven't steered me wrong yet, either.

P-Ram
Saz

Re: Guitar FX

Post by Saz »

PowerRam wrote:I think the VST effect that goes by the name "JCM 900" (an obvious lift from Marshall, but apt, none the less) is an excellent unit ...
I agree - and the price is right! :)