Question for snaarman

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Tim Lynch

Question for snaarman

Post by Tim Lynch »

Hi! I downloaded the bass zip file that you recommended from naturalstudio and I unzipped it but I am not sure what I now have. I have a file called NS_J-Bass.sfArk and I think I need to convert that somehow to ptc files. Could you lend any help on how to do that so I can use this in MTS? Prethanks...
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Hi there..

Yes, I forgot its a multistage process... OK, you have obviously downloaded and unzipped, so you have the sfarc file. Now you need to go to this place

http://www.melodymachine.com/sfark.htm

where you get a free copy of sfarc or sfarcxtc (read through the page to check out which you need). This is a purpose designed lossless compressor/decompressor used so that soundfonts can be sent over the web in a smaller form. (It adds another layer of complication and it doesn't seem to save that much space IMHO ...)

I will post this so far - then go off and try the rest of the process myself before I describe it :)

PH
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

OK - part two :)

I loaded the sfarc program as described in my previous.. you then use it to "process" the NJ bass sfarc file (find and highlight the file, then select process). At the end of this - just to prove me wrong, you get a 30Mb .SF2 soundfont file(!)

NOW --- (nearly there) you run up Multitrack, get your midi track and set it up using the sampler. Use "Load patch" and search for the .SF2 file. It asks your permission to convert the soundfont to a set of sample files and associated patches. In this case it turns up with 8 or so different basses..

Sounds good too !

Sorry its a long prcess, but worth it, because there are so many free soundfonts out there, and some of them do sound OK actually :)

Hope this helps

Pete H
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

Oh - and finally...

If you want to play soundfonts without all the sampler thing then you can use this VST soundfont player (free)

http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm

Good news is that it plays some soundfonts better than the MTS sampler can. Bad news is that (on my system) it misbehaves if you play a couple sfz plugins while you try to record a third sfz. Also the replay audio is a bit low. Shame.. maybe rgc and mts can sort it out between them :)

Pete H
Tim Lynch

Post by Tim Lynch »

Thank you Sir! I'll find the time and give this a try.