achiving

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

achiving

Post by Robomusic »

Once i finish with a project and i want to back it up incase of a computer failure how would i go about this, Most of my projects have both midi and audio, can i save them to a CD and preserve the whole file sample information and all?
Saz

Post by Saz »

Good topic!

When I'm finished with a project I burn everything related to it, to it's own separate CD or DVD and also keep a copy of it to an extra backup drive. If it's a long project, I'll sometimes save interim backups to the extra drive.

I read an article on backups recently that stated it's a good idea to keep extra copies offsite - in case of fire. One never knows I guess.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yes I agree that it is good to burn the finished projects to a Cd, do you do this only as a wave file or also as a working file that contains the pieces so as to go back and change it if needed later?, If so how do you do that and how to save in MTS to do that?
Saz

Post by Saz »

When I start a project I create a folder with the project's name/title - everything created in MTS for that project goes into that folder(this is on a drive separate from the drive that contains the MTS program files folder). That project folder gets a backup whenever I feel the project is complete - if I want to go back and change a part of the mix(or whatever) at some point in the future, I can do that easily.

I also keep backups of plugins, samples, soundfonts, etc., that normally reside in the MTS program files folder - just in case the drive it's on fails.

Hope this makes sense. :)
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Thanks for replying Sazzy, i guess my question stems from the fact that i am getting tons of clutter on the second hard drive, and i need to know how to fix this. When i do a project, it may contain midi, and audio tracks, and usually it gets saved to the hard drive, as a song file, and then later i might do a mixdown and save the wave file as well, but i would like to then take the song file and the wave file and save then to a CD rom and store it there so if I want to open it back up I can but have it off the hard drive, so with that plan in mind do I have to save it in any special format, or just as a standard song file (HDR) format, these seem to be kinda small to contain the audio portions, are they somewhere else, that i would have to find them and save them as well?. I am a little confused.
snaarman

Post by snaarman »

As far as I can tell, the HDR file only tells MTS which files and plugins to collect for this particular song, so there is no midi or wav information in it. I understand that it contains info about plugin settings as well.

So far my method has been this: First, make a new folder for the new song (say - "Z" or whatever). Add your first track, and "Save As" - making sure you point it at this new folder.

Then when you "Save" the song, just check it is saving the HDR file in the new folder.

If you re-use an existing track from another song "X" (I sometimes re-use midi percussion tracks for example) be sure to use "Save As" and put a copy of the track in the new folder (now might be a good time to rename it). Otherwise MTS will continue to collect the track from its original folder "X" and any mods you do to that track in song "Z" will screw up that track in the original song "X" :(

Finally when I have made a real mess in the new folder after a week or two, I do a "Save All" followed by "Tools-Find Unused Files" to delete anything in the folder that isn't being used. You can then pick up the whole folder and archive it. You should be able to recover it in the future and pick up editing from where you left off.

However, you do need to keep copies of plugins and effects that you used as well (thats the part I don't do properly at present....)

Hope this helps

P
Saz

Post by Saz »

Robo - I use the same process as snaarman - but he explained it better than I did. :)
RichLum

Post by RichLum »

Does MTS have a "move song" or "pack song" type of feature that will will allow you to group all files associated with a project together and put them all in the one directory?

I have a "Scrapbook" folder on my audio drive that I use as my default folder for wavs and use to just chuck ideas onto the PC.

Once an idea then develops into a song I will often have files in the Scrapbook folder plus in another folder I will have created at a later date for the song once I start working on it as a "song" rather than just an idea.

With n-Track I can "move" the song to a location and it will copy all wav files used by the song file to the same location.
this makes archiving to CD easy.
Move then burn

Is there a similar function in MTS so that I don't have to manually find every wav used in a song, move it, then point the song file at the new location before archiving?

thanks,
Rich
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hi Richlum,

Why not just open the song in question in MTS and then choose SaveAs and save it wherever you navigate as a new song?

No messin' around in folders lookin' for everything, everything will be there automatically.

--Mac
RichLum

Post by RichLum »

Mac,

so if I have a song file with wav's in more than one location and I do a "Save As" will it move all the existing wav fils to the new location?

If so that is exactly what I want to be able to do to tidy up/group files together before archiving.

some programs the "Save as" will just save the song file in the new location and leave the wavs where they are...

thanks,
Rich