Whiter Shade of Pale - Explained

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
Drdrdaddeo

Whiter Shade of Pale - Explained

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

As promised in the recent MTS For iPad forum, I post herein an explanation of my latest COPY recording of Procol Harum's, "Whiter Shade of Pale". It was recorded (24 bit, 44.1 khz) and mixed down to my ipad pro using MTS for ipad (with Pro Extension), a Presonus AudioBox 2 interface, an APOGEE MiC USB microphone, a Godin Bass guitar, and a combination of audio tracks (Vocal and Bass) and MIDI TRACKS (Drums, Piano, and Drawbar Organ). Multiband compression and room reverb was added to the lead vocal track, but the bass track was dry. Master Compression and Limiting was added in the final stereo mixdown. The three MIDI tracks used MTS's standard drum kit, bright acoutic piano, and drawbar organ respectively as sound generators. For the upper manual organ solo the nine MTS organ drawbars were set at full volume, and the instrument's rotor and percussion options were turned on. Incremental, bass-heavy drawbars were used for the lower manual chord structuring. A multi-track MIDI sequence for the song was commercially available and copy/pasted into MTS. The drum and piano sequences were used without editing. Minor editing corrections to the left hand organ chord structures were inputted manually using MTS MIDI track editing (correcting multiple errors in the commercial MIDI sequences). The entire organ solo was transcribed by ear from the oiginal song and manually loaded note-by-note into its own MIDI track using MTS MIDI track editing. The full on and Chorale Leslie effects were edited into the solo organ track after the solo itself was fully step-recorded (using the Modulation option of the MIDI Control Editor to draw in leslie effects wherever needed). The track window ROTOR Effects option was not used at all. All three recorded MIDI tracks were rendered to audio to create a final multitrack audio mix, thus enabling individual audio track volume, compression etc. tweaking. The final mix was loaded to Soundcloud from AudioShare.

This was a learning experience for me which highlighted the power of MTS MIDI Editing, its very useful built-in instrumentation and its awesome built-in effects. It came out pretty nicely.

https://soundcloud.com/drdrdaddeo/white ... pale-final

Hope you enjoy.
Drdrdaddeo

P.S. If the soundcloud link opens to one of my older recordings, just scroll to the left, Whiter Shade... will appear. Soundcloud is wierd.