MTS Double Tracked Vocals: Addicted to Love

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
Drdrdaddeo

MTS Double Tracked Vocals: Addicted to Love

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

ATL MIx 3 by Drdrdaddeo https://soundcloud.com/drdrdaddeo/atl-mix-3

I figured out a very cool way to use MTS for vocal double tracking. I did "Addicted to Love" on MTS for ipad (ipad Pro, Presonus AudioBox iTwo, Apogee MiC, MTS with Pro Extension, 24 bit, 48hz). Horns were played by MIDI using AudioBus and SampleTank. Organ was Drawboard Organ from MTS, Drums were from EZ Drummer (except click track snare used from MTS), guitar was Fender Stratocaster, Bass was Godin. After ten stereo music tracks were recorded, I started laying down multiple repeat mono tracks of my same lead vocals using only a little master compression and eq on each track. Then I created two separate blank vocal tracks for final double tracking the lead vocal. Going through each of the separate lead vocal tracks, I copy and pasted the two best vocal segments from the multiple takes onto the blank double tracks, one panned slightly left and the other slightly right, syncing them together as best as possible. When only one lead vocal segment was acceptable amongst all the draft tracks, I copied that segment and pasted it into each of the two final double tracks, moving one track a few milliseconds ahead of the click beat, and the other a few milliseconds behind the click beat. The resultant double track vocals had true double track segments as well as "manufactured" double track segments both of which which came out pretty well for a guy who is othetwise a pretty mediocre lead vocalist. To really hear the effect, listen to the last three words of the lead vocal in which the double tracking is purposefully reduced to unison stereo. Use of such double tracking obviated my need for reverb or other vocal effects to beef-up my pretty weak voice. This trick allowed me to do a decent job on the lead vocals. I am now waiting for my musical associate to record the high vocal harmony line which I will add in the final post-production MTS mixdown.
Drdrdaddeo
Moozeeck

Re: MTS Double Tracked Vocals: Addicted to Love

Post by Moozeeck »

Very good!

It has good sound, though I would do some corrections.
Lower reverb and bit louder drums, louder rhythm guitar, bit quieter vocals.
Pitch of the drums should be lower.
Guitar has very nice sound.
Horns should have better dynamics, more staccato and forte last notes.
Drdrdaddeo

Re: MTS Double Tracked Vocals: Addicted to Love

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

Thanks for the excellent critique. I will try to incorporate your suggestions into the final mixdown. My musical partner, Dave Larroquette (bassist and lead vocalist "daRockits", New Orleans, La.) agrees with you. Only reverb we have is on the final stereo master mixdown....so that will be easy to reduce. I may just compress the drums a bit more to bring them out in the mix better. Same with the vocals, easy to tweak dthem own a bit as they might otherwise sound even louder after we add the top harmony. No doubt the horns are somewhat adynamic....my fault, I played them on keyboard (I'm a keyboardist/guitarist/bassist)....I don't have much feel for brass dynamics, mostly I just try to get the pitches and harmonies right. Guitar and bass work was all done by Dave (using digital performer software and mac mini) with some contributions from me on his solo. Our respective studios are three hours apart, so we send tracks to one another via DropBox and e-mail. Fun project! Appreciate the listen and the feedback.