Some info on the 4.3 release

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Support

Some info on the 4.3 release

Post by Support »

Here's a bit more info on the 4.3 release:

This is about desktop version 10.2: https://www.multitrackstudio.com/version102.php
The Per-note articulation, Duplicate Track and Sing your pitchbends! paragraphs apply to the iPad version as well.

This page, from the desktop version manual, describes how to use audio-to-MIDI plugins:
https://www.multitrackstudio.com/audiotomidiplugins.php

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Re: Some info on the 4.3 release

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

Thanks for the nice update! My highlights are the improved pencil support and duplicate tracks functionality. Compared one iPad which has not been updated yet and the pencil works much better in the new version, in particular for me moving notes around in the score editor (*really* smooth selection/movement!) and lassoing in the piano-roll.

Edit - should have read your whole post!
Support

Post by Support »

MisplacedDevelopment wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:54 pm My highlights are the improved pencil support and duplicate tracks functionality.
They're both user requests.

GIel Bremmers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm glad I checked in here. Looking at the notes, I was delighted to see the "sing your pitch bends" feature!

The idea of converting either pitch or amplitude to CC is quite useful, and has some fascinating potential.
Support

Post by Support »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:53 pm The idea of converting either pitch or amplitude to CC is quite useful, and has some fascinating potential.
It has been on the todo list since 2009 (!!)

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Giel, I am experiencing what may either be a regression with the new version or something that iOS 15.x introduced (not sure which as I upgraded both around the same time). Basically, if I have two tracks each containing the same MIDI generator such as Atom 2/Helium/LK then the MIDI from the first instance is routed to the second track regardless of the channel that track is listening on or the channel of the note being produced by the generator. If I add a third track then the MIDI is routed there instead of the second track. The built-in arpeggiator does not appear to be affected. I can reproduce this on two different iPads both at the latest release of the OS and MTS.
Support

Post by Support »

I can reproduce this with iOS 15. Older iOS versions don't have this problem.

Apple reworked MIDI for AU in iOS 15 in order to pave the way for MIDI 2.0. Looks like something went wrong there.

Do other apps have this issue too, or is it just MTS?

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

I have done a similar test with two tracks of Atom 2 inside NS2, Audio Evo Mobile, BM3 and Cubasis 3 and I do not see this behaviour in any of those. I believe MTS is the only DAW though to support MIDI 2.0 on iOS at this time so that might not be too surprising if this is MIDI 2.0 related.
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks for testing this.

MTS uses some part of the AU API that probably no other iOS app uses. It makes a lot of sense to use this for code that comes from macOS, that why MTS uses it. Looks like Apple broke something there.

It doesn't have to do with the fact that MTS support MIDI 2.0 by the way. In fact, MTS doesn't even support MIDI 2.0 for AU output yet because I was afraid it would cause problems. Well, the problems came anyway :x

Giel Bremmers
Support

Post by Support »

Looks like the AU MIDI output routing issue should be solved in iPadOS 15.2 beta 3. Haven't tried it myself.

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

That’s a pretty quick fix turnaround by Apple standards!
Support

Post by Support »

Apple is (very) actively working towards MIDI 2.0. They break something every now and then - pretty much all MIDI apps started crashing in iOS 14.2 for example. But they do fix it quickly in my experience. That probably makes sense given that they apparently seek to shine in the MIDI area :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
Support

Post by Support »

Meanwhile I've verified that iPadOS 15.2 beta 3 fixes the issue indeed.

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Support wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:45 pm Meanwhile I've verified that iPadOS 15.2 beta 3 fixes the issue indeed.

Giel Bremmers
Yes, I have just installed 15.2 and it fixes the problem with MIDI being sent to the wrong track.