IAA - list of apps that do/don't work

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Littlewoodg

Re: IAA - list of apps that do/don't work

Post by Littlewoodg »

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I should raise the latency of these apps. The one I've noticed this on recently is Funkbox (a new app to IAA). I think it's also happening with iMini...I'll run through the IAA loading roster and get names if there are others...
maarten

Post by maarten »

Sunrizer got updated with IAA. I've tried the IAA functionality with Multitrackstudio, but it doesn't work. When recording from MTS, the notes are recorded but there is no sound when playing back the recording. When recording from Sunrizer to MTS from within Sunrizer, there are no recorded notes in MTS.
maarten

Post by maarten »

Sunrizer just got updated and now works great as an IAA app in MTS! YAY!
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Hi Mr Bremmers,
This issue of synths that are IAA enabled that do not work inside MTS is vexing-
You mentioned above in the thread why this can happen, and Id like to reach out to the various developers and request they make changes in their code to allow me to use my favorite instruments in my favorite DAW
What can I tell these developers?
Animoog
Crystal
iMini
PPG Wavegenerator
Thor
Unity
Z3ta +

These are some of the best synths in iOS, and personal favorites

I want to be able to midi sequence these synths, and play them inside MTS, and I understand that some are instrument and some are generator, but I am able to midi sequence all of them as IAA in Beatmaker 2 for example- except the iMini..
Support

Post by Support »

Littlewoodg wrote:I want to be able to midi sequence these synths, and play them inside MTS.
I'm currently working on improvements in this area.

While we're on the subject, could you please try this?:

- Tap the Studio button and then Devices. Now tap the 'Choose apps...' button (next to 'MIDI Clock to apps').
- I'd like to know if all synths you've mentioned appear in the list. Note that the synth apps need to be running, so you'll probably have to launch them first.

Giel Bremmers
StormJH1

Post by StormJH1 »

Okay, so I'm not crazy then! I suspect that much of this is the fault of general unreliability of IAA, but certain synths were seeming like they didn't work, and I have several of the ones Littlewoodg mentioned above.

Obviously, it's an IAA limitation that you can only have one instance of Sunrizer, Animoog, etc. running at one time. But my goal (and obviously the developer's goal) is to allow MTS's robust MIDI editing to drive synths that then funnel sound back back into MTS using IAA. This does work on some apps, but apparently not on all IAA apps.

Animoog's AudioBus and IAA compatibility has been problematic in general following their recent updates and now the move to iOS8.
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Hi Mr Bremmers,
Of the synths I listed above, all appear in the "Choose Apps..." list under Settings/Devices
except Animoog and PPG Wavegenerator

I was pleased to discover that if I opened Unity before launching MTS that IAA was functional for midi sequencing, playing the synth via MTS's keys, and scrubbing. So that's one that's good to go, if opened first...

A synth I forgot to add to my favs that aren't working well in MTS is Mitosynth. This one, like Animoog and Wavegenerator does not appear in the "Choose Apps..." list

I wondered if some of this is due to these apps that have been updated for iOS 8 compatibility (updates I've performed for synths on this broken list) though I'm still running the latest ios7...
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks! I'd like to have a little more information on Mitosynth, Animoog and PPG Wavegenerator if you don't mind:

1. AFAICS they're synths with MIDI inputs, not generators. Correct?
2. Do they appear in MultitrackStudio's 'MIDI Output Device' box? I don't expect them to, but you never know.
3. Assuming these apps allow for picking a MIDI input, do they list 'MTS MIDI Clock'?
Littlewoodg wrote:I wondered if some of this is due to these apps that have been updated for iOS 8 compatibility (updates I've performed for synths on this broken list) though I'm still running the latest ios7...
I don't expect iOS 8-ready apps to behave differently in iOS 7.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Mitosynth does appear in MTS's "Midi Output device" box.

PPG WaveGenerator does appear in the "Midi Output device" box.

Animoog does not appear there.

Animoog is called an Instrument in the IAA app list.
Mitosynth app description in the AppStore says it has "IAA Audio support". Other than that I can't tell you which it is, generator v. instrument.
PPG WaveGenerator has the same language in it's app description...but I don't know if AppStore ad copy means much. I think given the following info that Wavegenerator is a generator, or is trying to be such.

Wavegenerator behavior in MTS is interesting: when I've loaded the synth in MTS I can hold down a key on MTS keyboard and a note will slowly swell (this with a patch that does not have a lengthy Attack programmed). If I change patches key touches produce note with the correct attack, and I can scrub and get audio (like iMini), but when I hit play to play a midi section the app falls silent within MTS, (also like iMini).

"MTS Midi Clock" does appear inside Animoog, and PPG WaveGenerator, but not in Mitosynth which does not allow the user to chose midi input. The only midi options within Mitosynth are channel, toggling Core Midi on/off, and a bank change midi controller option.

It's strange the instrument v. generator issue doesn't prevent these and the other synths I've mentioned from being playable and midi sequence-able in-app using Beatmaker 2, but honestly I'd rather use them within MTS!
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks very much for checking!

Giel Bremmers
papertiger

Post by papertiger »

Mr. Bremmers,

Hello -- I'm new but I wanted to show my face as I'm DAMN impressed with MultiTrack Studio and I want to help in any way I can to make it better. I own many (too many) IAA synths, so I'm available to try things out if you'd like.

I wanted to let you know that I ran into issues using the following apps in MTS last night:
- iDensity
- Mitosynth
- Grain Science
- Funkbox
- DM1

Loading from the home screen, then closing out, then loading in MTS did not fix the problems.

The shining stars of last night's testing included Sector, Seekbeats, Stria, Addictive Synth, microTera, ThumbJam, TF7, Wow, and Effectrix. The latter two are completely surprising as I've had endless issues with them in other Cubasis and Auria. I can't believe how efficient MTS is. Pretty incredible.

I look forward to hearing from you!

M
Support

Post by Support »

papertiger wrote:I wanted to let you know that I ran into issues using the following apps in MTS last night:
Thanks. The next update will be all about making working with other apps better.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Thanks for your attention to this Mr Bremmers!
StormJH1

Post by StormJH1 »

Pretty sure I had the new Arturia iProphet synth working through IAA. However, as is the case with so many apps under IAA - the app plays fine by itself but is a stuttering mess through IAA on some of the older devices. I suppose it is possible to go into the synth app itself and increase latency, but wouldn't that just be latency on the "input" end of things? The performance issues occur due to use of the IAA pipeline to move data into another app.

So, I switched to AudioBus, which worked fine on 512 frames. But, of course, MTS tends to steer you towards IAA, particularly since it allows all of the MIDI control/functionality that way.

My question: can you set up a MIDI track to receive audio through AudioBus, but transmit MIDI data from MTS's excellent piano roll display (or other keyboards?). I would think it'd be possible, but the reason I'm confused is that I usually use Audio Tracks (not MIDI) to receive sound through AudioBus. Is there a way to this?
Support

Post by Support »

Oh, you really need the next release ;-)

To route MIDI to an app you should:

1. go to the Studio menu's Devices pane and select the app as MIDI Out Device.
2. tap the MIDI tracks instrument slot and select 'External'.

Giel Bremmers