IAA - list of apps that do/don't work

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
papertiger

Re: IAA - list of apps that do/don't work

Post by papertiger »

I'm in the process of creating a table that shows which synths, effects, etc. work with MTS as IAA. I own a LOT of apps and I've been frustrated by not having a stable tool box of apps that work reliably. After finishing the chart, I think I'll be there.

I've found that IAA from the following developers are the most reliable: Kymatica; Virsyn; Sugarbytes (which is a complete surprise as I've struggled with these apps in the past).

Mr. Bremmers, let me know if you want access to the chart, if you feel that it might be useful.

M
papertiger

Post by papertiger »

Support wrote:Oh, you really need the next release ;-)

Giel Bremmers
any estimates on when we might see the next release/update?
Support

Post by Support »

papertiger wrote:I'm in the process of creating a table that shows which synths, effects, etc. work with MTS as IAA.
That would be very interesting, but please wait for the next release. It will render the list useless.
In a couple of weeks. Apple review times are still really high because of iOS8.

Giel Bremmers
papertiger

Post by papertiger »

Support wrote:
papertiger wrote:I'm in the process of creating a table that shows which synths, effects, etc. work with MTS as IAA.
That would be very interesting, but please wait for the next release. It will render the list useless.
In a couple of weeks. Apple review times are still really high because of iOS8.

Giel Bremmers
Both your posts make me VERY happy, especially since the excellent apeSoft apps have issues in MTS. Render it my chart useless, Mr. Bremmers! Render it useless like a boss! :D
Tovokas

Post by Tovokas »

I'm new to MTS Studio, and it's been interesting exploring this unique DAW. :)

On my quick initial run-through testing IAA synths and instruments I've experienced the following on my iPad Air running iOS 7:

Work Well:
Addictive Synth
Cube Synth
DM1
Galileo Organ
iFretless
iMini
Magellan
Nave
Sunrizer
TerraSynth
ThumbJam

Must Launch Before Adding:
Alchemy
Animoog

Don't Seem To Work For Me:
GuitarCapo+
iMPC
iSem
Jam Maestro
Mitosynth
Photophores
Sampletank (Argh!)
Thor
Support

Post by Support »

Tovokas wrote:Don't Seem To Work For Me:
GuitarCapo+
iMPC
iSem
Jam Maestro
Mitosynth
Photophores
Sampletank (Argh!)
Thor
I know SampleTank crashes. What's the problem with the other ones?

Giel Bremmers
Tovokas

Post by Tovokas »

For MitoSynth,Thor, and GuitarCapo, 'Doesn't work for me' means I loaded up the instrument and fed it some midi, didn't get any sound, brought up the instrument and flipped every midi/background audio/destination/source/etc configuration option I could find without being able to get any sound. I also tested loading all the failed instruments before launching MTS to see if it made any difference. (Of course, in each case I could be missing something, but all the apps that work pretty much work without having to change anything, which is awesome.)

Outliers:
iMPC occasionally works, but acts strangely, dropping notes and measure, at one point causing everything to go berserk, with a looping sound I couldn't shut down by any method other than rebooting the device. I'm guessing memory, since iMPC is demanding all by itself... I never expected it to work. :)

iSem appears to be receiving data, but only responds with pops and clicks

Jam Maestro loads the IAA start/stop controls for a moment, but they soon vanish, and I'm not able to get any sound before or after regardless.

And yes, SampleTank just gives the "SampleTank got disconnected" message.

Photophores gives the disconnected message until you load it beforehand, but doesn't make any sound when you do launch it successfully.

Thank you!
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks for the details. I'll try some of those apps myself.

Giel Bremmers
StormJH1

Post by StormJH1 »

Consistent with what was outlined in the post above, I just find IAA to be incredibly unreliable from audio. It's gotten better, arguably, but I much prefer AudioBus for capturing sound, especially if I have some audio glitching and need to increase the latency setting to eliminate those issues.

That's why I am so grateful for that recent update that allows you to create a Virtual MIDI track separately that does nothing but act as a MIDI controller. MTS as a MIDI controller seems to work quite well, and I have no problem capturing the audio into an Audio Track via AudioBus.

It may not be as elegant of a solution to have the "Virtual MIDI" as a separate "dummy" track, compared to the all in one MIDI-to-Audio function of setting up an IAA Instrument MIDI Track, but it WORKS!
Tovokas

Post by Tovokas »

Got Jam Maestro working. As warned, this one was user error: just missed an obscure (to me) toggle. The IAA rewind/play/record controls won't control MTS, but the app is making noise. ;)
Tovokas

Post by Tovokas »

The latest update of SampleTank seems to have fixed their midi/IAA issues, and it appears to be working well in MultiTrackStudio. Very cool!