Midi out of MTS sending program change

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Midi out of MTS sending program change

Post by KenHardy »

New problem....probably my stupidity. I'm able to record midi in from my external keyboard (a Kurzweil PC-1x) to my MTS ipad, as well as receive midi out from MTS to my keyboard, playing it perfectly. Strangely though, on playback no matter what program I had my keyboard set on during recording, a program change immediately seems to be sent from the MTS app to my keyboard, resetting it to the keyboard's default factory sound. I noticed a message appearing and disappearing at the left lower corner of the MTS screen which reads "initializing devices...". Even if I reset the appropriate sound program in my Kurzweil after playback has begun, as soon as the "initializing devices" flashes at the bottom, my keyboard again defaults to the factory start-up sound. How do I disable program changes from being sent out of the MTS app.

Thanks,
Ken Hardy, MD, PhD
Support

Re: Midi out of MTS sending program change

Post by Support »

If you tap the MIDI track instrument slot (it reads 'EXT') you'll see the program MultitrackStudio sends to the keyboard. This is the one you should be hearing.

MultitrackStudio will pick up any program changes coming in from the keyboard only while the track is responding to the keyboard, ie. while either the track's Rec button is engaged or said "External MIDI Instrument" pane is visible.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Thanks Giel. I didn't realize there was a program assign option available on the external instrument button (but in retrospect that makes perfectly good sense and should make life much easier for me). This MTS program has so many great features. it's just a matter of finding and getting used to them all. I notice there are three default patch maps, gen midi, Korg Tr-rack, and Yamaha dtxpress. Is there a patch map for my Kurzweil PC-1x? This keyboard has hundreds of incredible internal sound programs (including the standard 127 gen midi sounds which I never use because the factory programs and settups are so much better). Additionally I also have an optional "Orchestral" ROM installed in it. Will I be able to access all my programs through the EXT program assign feature?

Thanks again (and again, and again.....)
Ken
Support

Post by Support »

There's no ready made patchmap for the Kurzweil. You can create your own patchmap files though: http://www.multitrackstudio.com/patchmaps.php. If you move it to the iPad using iTunes it will appear in the list automatically.

One can typically use any sound regardless of the patchmap. The 'Bank:prog' box defines the patch used. The name is just a name.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Awesome!!

Thanks a million,
Ken
Winn

Post by Winn »

This is the first iPad daw I have found that writes bank / program changes and also controller changes to the exported midi file. I am so excited! :D

Winn