Problem with Audiobus (SOLVED)

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
maarten

Problem with Audiobus (SOLVED)

Post by maarten »

After updating to version 1.4, MTS doesn't show up in Audiobus any more, neither as input nor as output. I don't know which of the two apps is causing this problem. I just wanted to report it.
Support

Re: Problem with Audiobus

Post by Support »

MTS now uses the 2.1.2 Audiobus SDK, so your Audiobus app needs to receive the latest app database. I would expect it to work by now actually.

Giel Bremmers
maarten

Post by maarten »

I tried again a minute ago and now MTS does show up as an Audiobus output. Strange, it was not visible this morning. i'm running the latest version of Audiobus.
Support

Post by Support »

You installed 1.4 before it appeared in the Audiobus database.

Usually app updates don't come with database updates, but all apps that switch to the iOS8-ready SDK get a new 'ID'. They won't appear in the Audiobus app until the database is updated, which happens automatically.

Giel Bremmers
maarten

Post by maarten »

Thank you for explaining. I don't mean to be an @!&./, but I did encounter another problem with Audiobus. When using Xewton music studio as an audiobus input into MTS, the sound is distorted as if it is being played through a bit crusher effect. It occurs both when playing the sound with the xewton music studio keyboard and when using the MTS keyboard to control xewton music studio. I've tried different latency settings but nothing helps. Any clue as to what may cause this?
Support

Post by Support »

Strange. Is the distortion in the recording as well, or is it only in the monitoring signal?

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

The signal comes though monitor as distorted then cuts out. Recording comes out blank at that point. Seems as if Audiobus has stopped working with the update-
I am referring to monitoring while sequencing midi to the Audiobus instrument.
This may be user error as I don't remember the steps to set up midi sequencing from midi track to the Audiobus incoming instrument...
Support

Post by Support »

Did you kill all audio apps before starting the Audiobus app? It seems to me that's even more important these days than it has ever been.
Littlewoodg wrote:This may be user error as I don't remember the steps to set up midi sequencing from midi track to the Audiobus incoming instrument...
You have to load an 'external instrument' in the MIDI track's instrument slot. You also have to tap Studio, followed by Devices. Then pick the app in the Midi Out Device box.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Thanks for the speedy reply!
I have implemented the steps you mentioned. It seems to be an issue of input gain. The synth signal comes into MTS too hot

(I noticed in the Audiobus app there is a slider for input gain that is maxed out and not movable...that might be a factor. Though the synth (Thor) and another daw in the Audiobus setup does not have the same overmuch gain, with the same slider maxed in Audiobus)

I have some time today to fool around, I'll keep trying. I just wish Thor and some other favorite synths would implement IAA, as IAA implementation in MTS is smooth as butter...

I've tried a few more synths and continue to get the same crunchy clipped audio monitoring in MTS. When I disconnect MTS from Audiobus, and the MTS play cycle is still engaged (the synths still receiving the midi sequence via core midi) the synths sound right again, playing in the background (rather than through Audiobus and out MTS)

I've tried the same synths in another daw with the Audiobus setup the same (that input gain slider still maxed and unmovable in Audiobus settings) and audio sounds fine-
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

So I deleted and reinstalled MTS and all is well.
Sounds great!
Sorry to bother you with this Mr Bremmers, and thanks for update!
maarten

Post by maarten »

@Littlewoodg: thanks, deleting and reinstalling MTS solved the Audiobus problem for me too. Everything is working as it should now.