New user's first impressions of MTS ipad version

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Joseph

New user's first impressions of MTS ipad version

Post by Joseph »

Hello All
Just started using MTS ipad version and here are some of my first thoughts/impressions.
1. Have a count-in. I know the whole point is keeping it simple, but doing a click track requires the user to then account for their own count-in. If this how it is expected that the user will do a count-in then explain that is how it has to be done (so I don't try and figure where the heck did they hide the count-in setting)
2. I don't know if it is me but the click track seems quiet. Does it emphasize the first beat or not I couldn't tell. Also why is there not other sounds that one can select for the click track?
3. If there is a way to crop a track I couldn't find that either. Goes back to another post I made about the requirement for additional tutorials.
4. I think that once it is set to record it would be very helpful just to touch anywhere on the display to start and then stop the recording. Trying the hit those tiny icons is a pain.
5. I know there is that rectangle at the bottom left of the waveform display that puts the waveform in and out of the edit mode but I could never really know when I was actually in the edit mode because touching the button displayed the same message. Maybe the icon could change to a pencil or something to indicate that it is edit mode.
6. I never fully understood how to individually or group wise edit recordings.
7. There is a repeat box that one could select. I need to play with that some more. But I wasn't sure when I should use this over just copy and pasting.

There is more but that will be enough babbling for now.
Cheers, Joseph
StormJH1

Re: New user's first impressions of MTS ipad version

Post by StormJH1 »

Hi @Joseph. I am also a new user of both the iPad version of MTS, and the free version of the desktop MTS. I actually became interested in MTS backwards - I was looking for a free option to test out VST's on my PC, and liked the (limited) freeware version well enough that I bought the iPad version. I actually like it better than Auria, which I got on sale, but which struggles on my older iPad. MTS runs great, and has awesome features (the MIDI editing was a big draw for me), but like you said, there is a bit of a learning curve because some of the design choices are, well, different. Not good or bad, necessarily, but they take some getting used to. Anyway, I too have many questions, but I'll try to answer some of yours.

I do find the box, dotted box, and "+" icons to be a little confusing. For example, the "+" box allows you to add one note, but do you have to press it every time you want a new note added? That makes it quite hard to write sequences using only the MIDI editor. Compare that Gadget, Caustic, or Reaper (on PC), and there are one-press (or double-press) options to add notes more fluidly.

But to answer your question, yes, you can trim parts. With an Audio Track, you can either "Snap" to a measure marker and then select all, or select everything to the right. Once selected you can delete the portion you have clipped. It's not immediately obvious, but the same functionality as Auria or any other DAW is there.

I have not found a count-in. But that's in part because of the "retro" approach to the click track, "punch", and "sound on sound". You'll notice that the measures start a "0" instead of "1". I always assumed this was because the first measure should be a count-in with the click track only. To edit in the middle of a recording, read the instructions for how "punch" works. There is a option that allows you to play back over the recording and then start adding new with "punch". I haven't played with it yet to give more details.
Support

Re: New user's first impressions of MTS ipad version

Post by Support »

Thanks for you comments.
Joseph wrote:....Also why is there not other sounds that one can select for the click track?
The click track is just a MIDI track, so you can tweak it if you like. You can use the drum editor to change the note that's being played for example.
Joseph wrote:4. I think that once it is set to record it would be very helpful just to touch anywhere on the display to start and then stop the recording.
Recording multiple tracks simultaneously wouldn't be possible if it worked like that.

Giel Bremmers