V1.5 Matrix Sampler info

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Support

V1.5 Matrix Sampler info

Post by Support »

Here's a screenshot of the new Matrix Sampler and the matrix keyboard:

The Matrix Sampler can load up to 16 audio samples. They can be played using the Matrix onscreen keyboard for example.

A 4x4 matrix of cells appears on the left. On tapping one of the 16 cells the corresponding controls appear on the right. The Load button allows for loading samples. Several options are available:
  • Import an audio file from AudioShare, the General Pasteboard or iTunes File Sharing.
  • Paste data copied from audio or MIDI track editor.
  • Remove.
In addition you can copy from one cell to another using drag-and-drop. Samples can be up to 6 seconds in length. If you have longer samples you can consider slicing them into parts using a track editor, the parts can then be loaded in multiple cells using the paste option.

The text box next to the load button shows the name of the cell, and allows for changing it. The name appears in the cell itself if a sample is loaded.

Volume controls the volume of the sample. Semitones and Cents control the pitch. Stretch can be used to make the sample shorter or longer, so it matches the song tempo. The box accepts fractions, so you can type '120/80' instead of '1.5' to make a 120 BPM sample match your 80 BPM song for example. If Oneshot is engaged the sample will play all the way to the end regardless of note-off messages.

You can use the play button to playback the sample. This can come in handy while copying data from a tracks to cells, when there's not enough room for the matrix keyboard.

The Matrix Sampler supports the following MIDI messages:
  • Note On/Off
  • Volume (cont. 7)
  • Expression (cont. 11)
The cells are mapped to MIDI notes 36..51.

Giel Bremmers
StormJH1

Re: V1.5 Matrix Sampler info

Post by StormJH1 »

WOW! This absolutely makes my day! Thanks to Giel for the hard work he continues to put into this product. The efficiency and convenience built into this app are starting to trump the bells and whistles of some of the other excellent DAW's on iPad. Having content like SoundFonts, Samples, etc. built into the app is almost Abelton-like in terms of being able to get things done within one program.

Please keep up the good work and know that your work is greatly appreciated! I'm sure I will have questions/suggestions to follow once I get home later and actually have a chance to try this out.

EDIT: Actually, I already have a question: Is there anyway to store sample presets or "Kits" that you create from your own samples? In other words, say I upload 16 wav files into the pads, labeled "Kick", "Snare 1", etc...can I save that kit and the samples as a bundle and call it "Rock Drums" or "808 Kit" or whatever?
maarten

Post by maarten »

Thank you for the Matrix Sampler and the chord expand feature! Both features were on my list of requests and it's great to see them implemented so quickly! Excellent customer support. Version 1.5 and Multitrackstudio in general has been getting some positive feedback on the Audiobus forum too:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5897/ ... er#Item_12
Support

Post by Support »

StormJH1 wrote:Is there anyway to store sample presets or "Kits" that you create from your own samples?
Not yet. It's on the list!

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Mr Bremmers
Did I mention you #%&@ing rock?
The combination of the Matrix Sampler, your midi and audio track editors, and copy/paste in-app is a stealthy weapon of mass beat creation
StormJH1

Post by StormJH1 »

Littlewoodg wrote:Mr Bremmers
Did I mention you #%&@ing rock?
The combination of the Matrix Sampler, your midi and audio track editors, and copy/paste in-app is a stealthy weapon of mass beat creation
Littlewoodg, whenever you get a chance, would you mind sharing a few of the things that you did in your experimentation? You had a brief list of that kind over on AB Forums and it blew my mind. I find it useful to hear about what other people who are smarter and/or more experienced/imaginative than I am can do with software.

For example, did I follow you right that you can copy slices out of an MTS audio track, assign it to a Matrix pad (up to 6 secs each), and use it that way? There are entire paid apps that purport to do nothing more than that, and MTS might actually handle it better...
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

One suggestion for this sampler. It would be nice somewhere in each matrix cell if a reference was given for the note it represents, such as C3 or whatever.
Support

Post by Support »

dinoroo wrote:One suggestion for this sampler. It would be nice somewhere in each matrix cell if a reference was given for the note it represents, such as C3 or whatever.
It appears in the bottom-left corner of the screen while you press a cell. I admit that's easy to overlook ;-)

Giel Bremmers
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

Got it, thanks. It would still be nice to have the note enblazened in big letters right on the matrix cell. Also, since gm midi drum mapping typically uses midi note 35 for the bass drum, it would make sense to have one of the cells for this note.... That way one could more easily use the sampler with midi drum loops. That's not a big deal though.
Support

Post by Support »

dinoroo wrote:Also, since gm midi drum mapping typically uses midi note 35 for the bass drum, it would make sense to have one of the cells for this note.... That way one could more easily use the sampler with midi drum loops. That's not a big deal though.
I considered using the MPC layout (which is close to a GM drum kit), but there are two significant drawbacks to that: it looks like a mess in the pianoroll editor, and you can't easily play it using a small keyboard (either hardware or software) because the keys are spread out widely and hard to find.

Giel Bremmers
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

Support wrote:
dinoroo wrote:Also, since gm midi drum mapping typically uses midi note 35 for the bass drum, it would make sense to have one of the cells for this note.... That way one could more easily use the sampler with midi drum loops. That's not a big deal though.
I considered using the MPC layout (which is close to a GM drum kit), but there are two significant drawbacks to that: it looks like a mess in the pianoroll editor, and you can't easily play it using a small keyboard (either hardware or software) because the keys are spread out widely and hard to find.

Giel Bremmers
Looks like there were many things to consider. I just want to say I love the feature! There's s much you can do with it. Just yesterday I layed out a whole matrix in about 5 minutes from a single midi note and a bank in the app Synth Arp & Drum Pad. Take a sample, move the note, take a sample, move the note, etc... so slick how that works.
qaratechop

Post by qaratechop »

Hey I'm just noticing when I save a preset it doesn't seem to be saving the volume of particular samples.

As in, I've loaded in a crash cymbal sample as part of a preset, saved the preset, then later decided the cymbal is too loud in comparison with the rest of the samples in the set so turned it down and saved the preset again.

But when I've gone to load the song it's part of the cymbal has reverted to its original volume. I have tried reloading the preset after loading the song but nothing changes. I've also tried deleting the preset, adjusting the sample volumes, then saving it again but the sample volumes keep reverting to their original state when the preset and/or song is reloaded.

Is this expected behaviour or am I perhaps missing something?
Support

Post by Support »

qaratechop wrote:Hey I'm just noticing when I save a preset it doesn't seem to be saving the volume of particular samples.
You've found a bug :oops:
Will be fixed in the next release.

Giel Bremmers