Version 1.6 Update! (10/23/2014)

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
StormJH1

Version 1.6 Update! (10/23/2014)

Post by StormJH1 »

Saw this first actually on this site - I was using MTS last night but wasn't prompted for the update yet!
---
MultitrackStudio for iPad 1.6 (October 23, 2014):

Improved IAA compatibility.
MIDI output of IAA instruments can be recorded (there's a 'MTS IAA Recording' virtual MIDI destination for this).
Using instrument apps via MIDI+Audiobus is easier: Instrument selectors now list 'Virtual MIDI Apps'. An app's MIDI output can be recorded using the new 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording' virtual MIDI destination. Audiobus monitoring has been improved for this scenario.
Some SoundFont Player issues are fixed.
Audio track input selector level meters work smoother.
---
While these aren't as sexy as the addition of a new sampler, I'm really curious to see if this fixes a lot of the issues I'm having. With all the bad stuff happening right now with AudioBus functioning on iOS8, one good thing has been that we are seeing tons of apps starting to get IAA functionality. Except in v1.5 of MultiTrackStudio, it just seemed like half of my IAA-compatible apps wouldn't work. They either wouldn't load, couldn't be sequenced with the MIDI piano roll, or just wouldn't produce recordable audio. So I'm really excited to see if some of that is now addressed.

Also, if I read that change log right, Giel did some work with getting it to work so you can use the MIDI grid to drive AudioBus apps that are recording into MTS. I think this was possible before, but clunky, and I'm still not clear how to do it. Say I want to use Sunrizer (or any music app) w/ AudioBus, but i want Sunrizer to be automated using the MIDI grid within MTS. With IAA, you would just open Sunrizer as an IAA instrument and program notes in the corresponding MIDI track. How do you do that with AudioBus? Do I open a new MIDI track and set a virtual MIDI output? But I've only used AudioBus to record audio into MTS, so do I then set up a separate Audio Track to record the resulting sound from Sunrizer? Seems like there has to be an easier way to do that.

Thanks for the update, Giel!

Note: Still not live in the U.S. store - perhaps he just submitted it to Apple.
Support

Re: Version 1.6 Update! (10/23/2014)

Post by Support »

StormJH1 wrote:But I've only used AudioBus to record audio into MTS, so do I then set up a separate Audio Track to record the resulting sound from Sunrizer?
Yes, that's what you should do. But you only have to do this once, when you're about to mix the song down to stereo.
StormJH1 wrote:Note: Still not live in the U.S. store - perhaps he just submitted it to Apple.
It should have been available for like 20 hours already :evil: . I've asked Apple to look into that.

Giel Bremmers
Support

Post by Support »

It's in the app store now.

Here are some relevant snippets from the manual:

IAA Instrument Apps

IAA instrument apps can be used in an instrument slot just like a MultitrackStudio instrument. There can be only one instance of a particular app, and MultitrackStudio doesn't store or recall the app settings. Both are limitations of IAA.

An app's onscreen keyboard can be recorded if you make the app send its MIDI output to the 'MTS IAA Recording' destination. Note that all data sent to 'MTS IAA Recording' gets recorded, even if it's sent by another app. Some apps may forward incoming MIDI messages to 'MTS IAA Recording'. You may have to make such apps stop using 'MTS IAA Recording' in order to avoid recording tracks that are playing back.

For more information see the Inter-App Audio and Audiobus chapter.

Virtual MIDI Apps

A Virtual MIDI App instrument sends the track's MIDI data to an instrument app via MIDI. All running apps which support this appear in the instrument selector.

Note: you need to launch the app yourself to make it appear in the instrument selector.

The MIDI Input Device you've selected in the Devices pane has to be selected as input in the app too if you want to record it.
An app's onscreen keyboard can be recorded if you make the app send its MIDI output to the 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording' destination. Note that all data sent to 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording' gets recorded, even if it's sent by another app. Some apps may forward incoming MIDI messages to 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording'. You may have to make such apps stop using 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording' in order to avoid recording tracks that are playing back.

You can use Audiobus to make switching between apps and controlling the transport easier.

Up to four instrument apps can be used simultaneously. Multiple tracks can use the same app (you can route 16 tracks to an app for example, each track using a different MIDI channel).

Note: the track's volume fader, pan knob and mute/solo buttons won't work if the app doesn't respond to standard volume/pan MIDI messages.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Mr. Bremmers!
Thank you very much for the update to both mobile and PC versions!
Fantastic.
sm7x7

Post by sm7x7 »

Still cannot record the IAA instruments. At all. All other instruments (native, SF) record fine. No IAA instruments record a single note. Weird. All IAA effects work fine, strangely. Am I doing something wrong? Same approach to all instruments, nothing extra...
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

@sm7x7
The IAA instruments are selectable as midi tracks, which means if you want their audio you have to either copy/paste the midi region into an available audio track, where MTS will render that audio, or you hold down the track name window till options appear and you select "Copy to new Audio track", and MTS renders the Audio. You also will have option to include effects as a second step.

I found that not all IAA instruments communicated with MTS, and many were not midi sequence able and therefore renderable within MTS....

that what makes this new arrangement so pleasing, all my instruments now work within MTS!
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Bumping this thread because this is an amazing update, functionality for me increased exponentially.
Huge step past the competition, now that virtual midi is so well sorted. Thanks again Mr. Bremers.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Are we able to do effective midi punch-in's or audio stretch with any of the new updated additions?

Just wondering,
Ken Hardy
Support

Post by Support »

KenHardy wrote:Are we able to do effective midi punch-in's or audio stretch with any of the new updated additions?
Punch-in monitoring for external MIDI instruments hasn't changed, and audio editors still don't feature stretching. The Matrix Sampler does feature audio stretching by the way.

Giel Bremmers
Support

Post by Support »

Littlewoodg wrote:Bumping this thread because this is an amazing update, functionality for me increased exponentially.
Huge step past the competition, now that virtual midi is so well sorted. Thanks again Mr. Bremers.
I'm glad you like it! Getting apps to work together nicely is a surprisingly hard nut to crack, but we're finally getting somewhere I think.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Huge step forward, in fact, connectivity frustrations are forgotten, and the work/fun is unimpeded.