New Feature Request for iPad

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
jawidge

New Feature Request for iPad

Post by jawidge »

At the risk of repeating requests by other users, may I summarize my needs:
One use I have for MTS is to play backing tracks live. Though currently I'm using a laptop, the iPad would be better so I would need the following features in the desktop version to run on iPad

1. Lyrics Window
2. Song List

Additionally:
1. While in Song List mode, have the Lyrics Window stay open when moving from one song to another

Thanks
George
KenHardy

Re: New Feature Request for iPad

Post by KenHardy »

Jawidge. I suspect you may be looking for an App better suited for your purposes (live performance) than MTS FOR IPAD (which is primarily a program strictly developed for multitrack music recording). There are no provisions for including lyrics, and I tend to doubt there ever will be given all the many, many other requests for this App's developer to continually optimize the type of sounds and ease of recording music....the real purpose of MTS for iPad. Landscape/UI is so limited on the small iPad screen, building in space for lyrics might obviate the real designated purpose of MTS for iPad....recording music.

That being said, however, this app already lends itself very nicely to backing track playback, especially when used in conjunction with AudioShare (I use both for that purpose regularly). MTS itself provides a built in list of resident songs which are active in the program's buffer, as well as the ability to import any song written earlier and saved to a .zip file. When such songs are opened, they open in multitrack format, allowing you to either play or mute any combination of tracks, and feed their stereo output directly into your PA system from the iPad (with CD quality resolution) as a backing track. Alternatively, multiple backing tracts can be easily organized into one song, for various playback situations, and different combinations of tracks can be saved (by selective muting) either to MTS or to AudioShare (the latter programs allows you to better organize your song lists for easy retrieval). Playback of selected backing tracks can then be either outputted directly from AudioShare or MTS (I use both and the sound quality is identical). Most musicians prefer not to use prerecorded backing tracks, because they import a Karoke type feel to live music especially if you are strictly a singer. However for a small group of playing musicians (one to three), to be able to produce a "large" sound, I think backing tracks are the way to go, and MTS for iPad already does a great job for that (sans lyrics).

My suggestion would be for you to search for a lyric-focused App that might allow you to import music files into it. That way you could export your MTS-organized backing tracks directly from AudioShare into that App, giving you a final product that includes both lyrics, backing tracks, and potentially chording (if that App, like "Guitar Tabs HD"' allows it). This would greatly facilitate live performance especially for player/singer type musicians like myself. Unfortunately, I have been searching for such an app for quite a while unsuccessfully, and would greatly appreciated feedback on your own progress in this regard. I would love to incorporated such a full mix into my own local performances but haven't found the right combination yet (I still have to memorize all lyrics and remember the live keyboard/guitar/bass parts). Keep me posted on your progress.
Dr. K.
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

It would be nice if there was a "dumbed down" version of the sidechain effect... one with only attack, decay, and gain controls. I get brainlock with the myriad of controls offered in the dynamic effect, and have found it difficult to apply a steep gain reduction with sidechaining. The gain knob on the Dynamic effect starts at 0 dB and only goes up from there.... shouldn't there be an option to apply a negative dB, so that for instance when a drum beat hits, there's a net effect gain reduction taking place? If I'm doing it wrong, let me know.

Also, are there any plans to implement the mid/side effect in the iPad version?

Thanks
Support

Post by Support »

dinoroo wrote:The gain knob on the Dynamic effect starts at 0 dB and only goes up from there.... shouldn't there be an option to apply a negative dB, so that for instance when a drum beat hits, there's a net effect gain reduction taking place?
The Gain knob is actually 'make up gain'. So you can use the compressor section and leave the Gain know at 0dB to get gain reduction.
dinoroo wrote:Also, are there any plans to implement the mid/side effect in the iPad version?
No. In the desktop version you can load effects in the mid and/or side paths. "Nesting" effects like this is a bit weird on an iPad screen IMO.

What would you like to do with it?

Giel Bremmers
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

OK, I don't normally use sidechaning so chalk it up to lack of experience on my part. I have no real need for mid/side either, other than I was curious to try it after watching some tute vids. Thanks again for the prompt responses!
qaratechop

Post by qaratechop »

Not sure how much demand there would be for this, but would it be a possibility for the song import/export feature to work with AudioShare?

Just trying to get some control over the large number of compositions I have on the go in MTS at the moment. I'm often a bit too lazy to use iTunes File Sharing so being able to park a .zip file in AudioShare now and again would be quite a boon.
Support

Post by Support »

qaratechop wrote:Not sure how much demand there would be for this, but would it be a possibility for the song import/export feature to work with AudioShare?

Just trying to get some control over the large number of compositions I have on the go in MTS at the moment. I'm often a bit too lazy to use iTunes File Sharing so being able to park a .zip file in AudioShare now and again would be quite a boon.
I've considered that, but AudioShare opens the zip file automatically IIRC, which is a bit weird. Wouldn't something like built-in dropbox support be a better solution?

Giel Bremmers
qaratechop

Post by qaratechop »

Support wrote:Wouldn't something like built-in dropbox support be a better solution?
It probably would be, just not sure what's faster/easier to implement from a dev perspective.
qaratechop

Post by qaratechop »

Thanks very much for the latest update to 2.0, especially the fix for sampler presets.

Not to be ungrateful but I have one more suggestion - a Mix control in the Transposer effect. If it were added to Monophonic mode you would have something like an instant Octaver.

Thanks for any consideration.
Support

Post by Support »

qaratechop wrote:Not to be ungrateful but I have one more suggestion - a Mix control in the Transposer effect. If it were added to Monophonic mode you would have something like an instant Octaver.
Not a bad idea, thanks.

For now you can load the Transposer in an Effect Return section (you can have two of them now), and turn up the track's 2nd effect send knob.

Giel Bremmers