Can I address separate MIDI ports per track?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
syrupcore

Can I address separate MIDI ports per track?

Post by syrupcore »

Hi,

I'm trying to sequence external gear across more than one physical port (eg, more than 16 channels). Wondering if MultitrackStudio for iPad will allow me to address multiple MIDI ports on a per track basis. In reading the manual, it looks like I set the port in the 'Studio' menu and then set the MIDI channel per track. I'm wanting to select the port and channel per track. For instance, I have a multitimbral synth hooked up via one hardware port (MIDI man) and a few other synths hooked up via a second port (arturia beatstep)—can I address them separately?

Thanks! MTS looks like it's got all the other goodies I'm after. For instance, if I could, I'd give the developer a high five for 'quantize strength'. I don't think there's another iOS app that has this feature.

Cheers.
Support

Re: Can I address separate MIDI ports per track?

Post by Support »

syrupcore wrote:I'm trying to sequence external gear across more than one physical port (eg, more than 16 channels). Wondering if MultitrackStudio for iPad will allow me to address multiple MIDI ports on a per track basis. In reading the manual, it looks like I set the port in the 'Studio' menu and then set the MIDI channel per track. I'm wanting to select the port and channel per track. For instance, I have a multitimbral synth hooked up via one hardware port (MIDI man) and a few other synths hooked up via a second port (arturia beatstep)—can I address them separately?
The iPad version currently supports just one MIDI output port. The closest you can get is probably daisy-chaining the synths, so they can all be connected to a single port. You'd have to keep the synths from responding the 'other' channels, which may be difficult to achieve.

For the record: the desktop versions support up to 4 MIDI output ports.

Giel Bremmers
syrupcore

Re: Can I address separate MIDI ports per track?

Post by syrupcore »

Thanks for the quick reply, Giel! I'll keep my eye on the iPad version.