Ipad interfaces for use with MTS FOR IPad

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Ipad interfaces for use with MTS FOR IPad

Post by KenHardy »

I have been waiting for over five months for a new iPad audio-MIDI interface to appear so I can use it with my MTS-for-iPad App. My old Griffin studioconnect has only only a 16 bit sampling rate, has no phantom power or USB-IN for my controller boards, and Fritz's out repeatedly (I'm on my third replacement unit). The new Griffin StudioConnect HD and the Alesis Core 2 interfaces promise 24 bit sampling, USB-IN hubs, MIDI DIN jacks, and phantom power...but neither unit has become available after years of promises, and neither Griffin nor Alesis will confirm that they ever will. The Arturia AUDIO-FUSE (2015 NAMM ANNOUNCED) promises all the above plus lots more (at $599!!), but is also still unavailbe. Does anyone know of a digital interface that will work with an iPad air, that has a powered USB-In port, MIDI-IN/OUT DIN jacks, phantom power, and intrument/mic/line ins with at least 24 bit AD/DA conversion. P.S. The FocusRite iTrack lacks MIDI DIN jacks and doe not accept a USB hub, while the Alesis iO Dock II has MIDI DIN, but neither fits an iPad air, nor has a MIDI IN hub for use with a controller keyboard. I've been stumped for months with this problem. Any suggestions out there?

Ken Kardy
André Giroux

Re: Ipad interfaces for use with MTS FOR IPad

Post by André Giroux »

I think this is what you're looking for!
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpro/

Maybe not! no usb in.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Thanks for the suggestion which is close.....but unfortunately no cigar. What the iRig Pro lacks is:

1. The ability to input ANY stereo signal. This means it cannot record the stereo output of either a stereo keyboard, a stereo effects processor, or any other stereo analog signal.

2. A powered USB-IN Jack. Thus it cannot be used with any modern USB Controller Keyboard (all of which use a USB OUT port to connect to computers or digital interfaces.

3. A power supply. Therefore it must run off (and quickly drain) the power of your ipad/iphone/computer.

4. A headphone jack. So zero latency monitoring of input signal during recording is impossible.

And what it is replete in, is a jangle of wires to trip you up while failing to be useful for your really high tech recording needs. Actually, my old Griffin Studio Connect ($39) already does everything the iRig Pro does except for lack of a phantom powered XLR input (and I don't need that because I use an Apogee iMiC anyway). Plus the studio connect inputs full stereo and has a headphone jack. Of course, it's only 16 bit and is an unstable piece of Asian crap which I've replaced (admittedly for free) three times in the last year. Also, I just found out from the technical support staff of Griffin Corp., that the much bally-hoo'd Griffin Studio Connect HD (NAMM 2014) is most likely NOT ever going to be released (no doubt some conflict with Apple Corp). I suspect that Alesis will encounter the same Apple obstructionism and will never release its Alesis Core 2 product either. But no word on that yet.

Sounds like the only light at the end of the tunnel is either a USB HUB hack into the Alesis iO Dock II, or the terribly expensive Arturia AudioFuse, if/when it ever becomes available. The sad truth is that even using 16 bit sampling, my ipad recordings with MTS for iPad and the StudioConnect are every bit as good as anything I've ever done using either Mac or PC based digital interfaces....and much, much easier. It's a pity that the Apple Corp. is such a greedy, obstructive turd, that it purposefully chokes the life out of its excellent ipads. That bully-boy attitude has been the main reason I remain loyal to Windows-based systems for all my needs other than an iPad/iPhone. Kiss my apple, Apple!

And one final screw you to my friends at Apple. It you really want high quality sound fron an iPad or iPhone, USB its output into an HRT Microstreamer! The Microstreamer by-passes Apple's crappy Internal DAC, and routes its digital output through its own high quality 24 bit digital audio converter....and then it gives you both a stero line out jack and a stereo headphone out jack to listen to and/or output into your PA system. The sound quality is nothing less than amazing, and the damn thing is about half-the size of a pack of matches. So no doubt Apple will build-in some type of "HRT disabler" during its next mandatory iOS "upgrade".

Dr. K.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

P.S Just received my third Griffin Studio Connect (2nd free replacement) from Sweetwater. This one works perfectly, and seems much more stable than the first two (? Firmware updates). Hope it lasts longer than 4 months. Still no word on either the Griffin StudioConnect HD, the Alesis Core 2, or the Arturia AudioFuse....but still hopeful that at least one of them will become commercially available.

Meanwhile, I've become a beta tester for the AudioStretch App....which is an extremely useful and cool App for iPad Music. It can slow down or speed up entire .wav file tempos without changing key signature, and/or it can change keys with or without changing tempo's. It currently only exports to .mp3 via e-mail, but soon will export as an uncompressed .wav file to DropBox, AudioShare, iCloud, and others. It Should be great for modifying tempo of MTS songs and tracks after they're already recorded, without altering key signature. But it can't currently export without compression losses. That will soon be fixed.

Drdrdaddeo
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm also on my 3rd Studio Connect from Griffin (i.e., 2nd replacement). It is possible that I had a bad power supply. I reused the power supply from the first one on the 1st replacement (assumed if it was firing up, it must be fine). But I swapped out the power supply when I got the 3rd one. Can't confirm though.

I'm just glad Griffin's customer service was quick to send out a replacement without much fuss.

I've kept my eye out for a good interface solution. Seems like the main thing is to make sure it charges while it works. Anything that doesn't do that is a deal breaker.

My cheapo solution which works well is to connect a USB hub and use my Zoom H2n recorder for audio and a M-Audio Uno for MIDI. Doesn't charge the iPad but works reliably.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

This just in: I received an e-mail notice from Griffin yesterday that the much awaited Griffin StudioConnect HD is NOT going to be commercially produced. I suspect Apple has struck again. Ten to one, ALESIS never releases its Core 2 product either, and for the same reason....home studio musicians would use their iPads to record rather than purchasing Mac Mini's, MacBook Pros, etc. I hope I'm wrong, and thus am still waiting. Meanwhile, I've found I can actually use my little M-Audio USB KEYRIG 49 controller keyboard with MTS for iPad by connecting it to a Belkin-powered USB hub and a CCK-lightening adapter. It may be a temporary solution for using class compliant USB keyboards in the absence of a missing USB IN port on either the original Griffin StudioConnect or the Alesis iO Dock II. Since the iO Dock II at least samples at 24bit (only 16 bit max for the Griffin), has MIDI Din Ports, and seems reliable by user posts, the DOCK II may be the current best bet for iPad music recording...assuming that Apple will probably also kill the Alesis Core 2. That leaves the Arturia AudioFuse as the only potential full SERVICE audio/MIDI digital interface designed for the iPad (as well as for PC, MAC, and Android). But it's still only a dream, will cost $599, and does not power the iPad (to my knowledge). It seems the hardware designers are way behind the software designers when it comes to iPad music recording. What a pity.
Drdrdaddeo.
StormJH1

Post by StormJH1 »

KenHardy wrote:This just in: I received an e-mail notice from Griffin yesterday that the much awaited Griffin StudioConnect HD is NOT going to be commercially produced. I suspect Apple has struck again. Ten to one, ALESIS never releases its Core 2 product either, and for the same reason....home studio musicians would use their iPads to record rather than purchasing Mac Mini's, MacBook Pros, etc. I hope I'm wrong, and thus am still waiting. Meanwhile, I've found I can actually use my little M-Audio USB KEYRIG 49 controller keyboard with MTS for iPad by connecting it to a Belkin-powered USB hub and a CCK-lightening adapter. It may be a temporary solution for using class compliant USB keyboards in the absence of a missing USB IN port on either the original Griffin StudioConnect or the Alesis iO Dock II. Since the iO Dock II at least samples at 24bit (only 16 bit max for the Griffin), has MIDI Din Ports, and seems reliable by user posts, the DOCK II may be the current best bet for iPad music recording...assuming that Apple will probably also kill the Alesis Core 2. That leaves the Arturia AudioFuse as the only potential full SERVICE audio/MIDI digital interface designed for the iPad (as well as for PC, MAC, and Android). But it's still only a dream, will cost $599, and does not power the iPad (to my knowledge). It seems the hardware designers are way behind the software designers when it comes to iPad music recording. What a pity.
Drdrdaddeo.
Yeah, that's a big bummer. It looked like a potential winner - it had all the features the other ones had, plus USB MIDI in, which so many seem to lack.

I may end up with that original Griffin StudioConnect stand that is out there for $40 on clearance (the 30-pin one). But it's not much of a need of mine - I do everything with headphones and don't use much external MIDI gear.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Currently, the best bang for the buck is still the basic 30 pin Griffin StudioConnect ($40 units still available) used with a lightening CCK (for newer iPads). The StudioConnect (when new) works very nicely with MTS for iPad (just make sure the microphone in SETTINGS is enabled for MTS, or audio will not record from the StudioConnect to MTS). Griffin customer service is very happy to quickly replace units for free if any glitches emerge, and the 16bit, 44.1 kHz sound quality is acceptable/CD quality. Absence of phantom power obviates use of condenser mics with the StudioConnect but for $250, an Apogee MiC 96k can be purchased that will USB direct into an iPad (independent of the StudioConnect interface) and record to MTS with 24bit, 96khz resolution.....UNBELIEVABLE QUALITY! Pick up a Belkin powered USB hub, and class compliant USB controller keyboards can also input direct to MTS for ipad (independent of the StudioConnect interface). Until the Arturia AudioFuse (June, 2015) or the Alesis Core 2 (unknown release date) become available, the cheap little 16bit Griffin system is still a pretty damn good multipurpose audio/midi interface. Its only real competition is the $200 Alesis iO Dock II, only because of its phantom power and 24bit sampling.
Dr. K.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

More bad news. Moments ago I received an e-mail reply from ALESIS customer service in response to my repeated queries about the status of the proposed Alesis Core 2 audio/midi digital interface for ipad. Much to my chagrin (but exactly per my earlier predictions), Alesis has chosen NOT to ever commercially produce the Alesis Core 2......Seems good old Apple has struck again, how I hate that fruit!! Given these last two turns of events, there are currently NO full service audio/midi digital interfaces available for recording music to iPads, despite excellent software products such as MTS for ipad. Only the high end Arturia AudioFuse even promises to be produced (allegedly in June of 2015), and while it claims to offer all the features needed for pro-level digital recording of music to ipads, no doubt Uncle Arturia hasn't sat down to do business with Uncle Apple yet. Who knows where that might be going. Until further notice, the two old workhorses, the Griffin StudioConnect and the Alesis iO Dock II, continue to be the best options for decent iPad music recording.

Dr. K.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for that info! Can you summarize what it is that Apple does to interfere with those products? I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just curious how that works.
KenHardy

Re: Ipad interfaces for use with MTS FOR IPad - one opinion.

Post by KenHardy »

To the best of my knowledge, every App that runs on an iPad, must first be reviewed and approved well in advance by Apple before it can be downloaded....and then only downloaded and/or sold by some Apple-controlled service (App Store, I-Cloud, iTunes, etc.), rather than from the Internet or third party vendors. Apple rigidly controls what an ipad can and cannot do, what and how it interfaces with other computers, interfaces, networks, camera's, external drives, and printers, and in particular what its major intended function is, i.e. to be a TABLET, not a full service computer. It hides its files, limits its operating systems, disguises its ports, restricts what it can and cannot import/export, and imposes enormous constraints and taxes on both software and hardware developers for iOS systems. This probably maximizes Apple's profits, protects their OS from hackers and malware, and assures that the market for Ipads will only minimally compete with its own more expensive full-fledged computers such as the iMACs, MacBook Pro's, etc., etc. Typically, the latter more cumbersome, but speed/memory-heavy computers have for years been the industry standard for pro-level multimedia productions, especially music and motion pictures. The music market alone is enormous, and virtually all of the many, many pro-level digital interfaces communicate with (and thus facilitate the sale of) APPLE "COMPUTERS", but won't interface at all with ipads. Recently, a few interfaces have been scantily designed and approved (probably with Apple's permission) for specific (but limited) use with ipads. In theory, this is to preserve battery life, maximize use of RAM memory, and prevent hacking and viral corruption. However with the advent of the newer, more powerful iPads which have greater speed, double the RAM memory, and unlimited iCloud storage capabilites, software apps such as MTS FOR IPAD, CUBASIS, AURIA and others have made it very easy, mobile and inexpensive to record studio quality multitrack music from any studio, auditorium or even your own bedroom.....potentially obviating the need for Apples more complex and expensive full-service multimedia computers by most musicians...or even pro-studios for that matter.
The final recording link to controlling musical input into the iPad is the digital interface. Not surprisingly, thus far none have appeared commercially (despite years of NAMM grand unveilings and promises) that provide a complete musical interface (including 24 bit audio, midi din in/out and a powered USB input hub by which multiple USB devices could input digital information simultaneously to an iPad (as is routinely done for instance with a pro-level digital interface fire-wired to a Big Mac Desktop). Keeping the iPad "down" as a popular, state-of-the art musical recording device, is becoming increasingly difficult these days. By putting constraints on the interfaces and locks on access to iPad iOS systems, Apple has been able to control that evolution. For every day composing/performing musicians like me, it's like putting a Les Paul Custom in my hands, but not allowing me to string or play it. It's all about money...theirs, and rarely about art....ours.
Dr.K.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's really interesting. I could easily understand the angle of trying to lock-down the iPad in terms of security and connectivity so that folks can't find round-about ways to get files in & out.

However, as someone who loves my MBP and only kind of likes my iPad, it is hard for me to imagine trying to do pro work on an iPad -- I'm not saying people can't, I'm just saying MY workflow on the laptop is pretty intense, and nothing has even come close on the iPad for what I do--- and I'd be pretty devastated if the iPad somehow caused some problems for the robust development of the MBP as a hardware platform.

But your points make perfect sense. Seems like if they let iPads have more connectivity, they'd sell more iPads and they wouldn't mind that-- but their aesthetic about hardware working for iPhones, iPods, and iPads more universally is more about just keeping things "TIDY".
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Your points are well-taken, and I agree completely. I've long considered getting a MBP for more advanced musical recording. Its just that I haven't yet hit any insurmountable wall limiting what I can do quickly and easily with my iPad, except the digital interface itself (and my work flow is really scant). I'm still a neophyte, composing, playing and recording with several advanced musicians who focus more on playing music, than high quality recording of it. My two main collaborators use Digital Performer/Mac Mini, and Pro-tools/PC respectively, and for many months we've been exchanging respective tracts via DropBox. Thus far their tracts are really no better than mine (and my MTS final mixdowns are always better than theirs). Clearly, however, they haven't yet focused on mastering the intricacies of their own more powerful recording platforms, while my iPad/MTS learning curve is simple and my musical ear strong enough to assemble a superior mix from a far simpler tool. If Apple would just give my iPad a little more connectivity, I could have such a grand old time with it. And once I do hit that wall, my next system would undoubtedly be built around a MBP. I'm really hoping the Arturia AudioFuse becomes available soon. It could be a pro-level window to both worlds.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Hopefully, my last update. Just made aware of the ProSonus AudioBox iTwo audio/midi interface for Mac, PC AND iPad: 24bit, 96 kHz sampling, dual XLR/line ins with phantom power, USB Powered (MAC or PC) or Apple USB-wall adapter powered (iPad), and MIDI Din in/out. Comes with a free recording capture app for iPad as well as full Studio One Artist multitrack recording software for Mac and PC. Supports instant wireless streaming of recorded ipad tracks across home WiFi direct to Mac or PC for comprehensive computer editing, if needed. Should work well with MTS-for-iPad (already successfully tested with Auria), and only cost $160 ($40 less than the Alesis iO Dock.....and approved for use with ALL iPads above iPad 2). Still no powered USB IN (similar in function to the Alesis iO Dock II) but the powered USB hub trick for USB keyboards should gets around that. Not sure if it supports iPad charging while recording, but the setup looks like it should. Looks like a cool little interface made by a very reputable company, with multi-platform utility at about one fourth the price of the proposed (but not yet available) Arturia AudioFuse. I'm gonna get one and will report on how well it works with MTS in a later post
Dr. K.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for that update, Ken.

It will be good to see if that device disables any functions when connected to an iOS device. But the feature set seems like it covers all the basic bases.