Importing MIDI files to tracks

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
vapoureyes

Importing MIDI files to tracks

Post by vapoureyes »

Hello, my first post on the forum.
Is it possible to import a midi (.mid) file for each individual track in a composition? e.g track 1 (piano.mid), track 2 (bass.mid) track 3 (drums). I have always used a score editor for editing midi - are there plenty of options available for editing in this mode?

Thanks for any response.
KenHardy

Re: Importing MIDI files to tracks

Post by KenHardy »

Both audio and midi files are quite easy to import and export to/from MTS as individual tracts, formatted multitrack songs, or full song mixes (compressed or lossless). There are several different ways to import .mid files, but the easiest is using the AudioShare App from the Apple App Store. .mid files can be readily imported into AudioShare from e-mail, directly from various music apps, from DropBox, and many other sources. There, they can be conveniently organized in AudioShare and then either directly opened tract by track into an MTS song, or copy and pasted into almost any suitable App (using the general pasteboard or AudioCopy 2 feature). Similarly .mid tracks can be exported back to AudioShare one-by-one for storage, or exported to iTunes file sharing for storage as an entire formatted song within the iPad (which reopens with one click) or via sync to an external computer for storage (and immediate recall to the iPad as needed). MIDI tracks can be individually edited, channel assigned, instrument assigned, and played through either internal or external sound generators.

MTS for iPad is a terrific and very versatile program for audio and midi recording...and it is really quite simple and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Recording in 24bit, 44.1 kHz mode will give you CD QUALITY (or better) sound and MTS leaves but a tiny footprint on the memory of an iPad. I use an iPad air (64 gig), have hundreds of tracks and songs stored, and still have 35gig of available space.
Dr. K.
StormJH1

Re: Importing MIDI files to tracks

Post by StormJH1 »

Yes, I think KenHardy covered most of it above, but I have definitely used it to import MIDI tracks. If you import an entire MIDI song, it will even open individual tracks and assign the closest instrument from MTS's virtual instrument collection. I'd like to think that MTS figures this out using "magic", but more likely it's due to the numeric GM assignments MIDI files have for tracks (0-127), which correspond to types of instruments.

Once the MIDI tracks are imported, of course, you can pretty easily open up another music instrument app via AudioBus or IAA and then capture that track as "audio". (This is similar to how tracks are "frozen" in something like Auria).

The MIDI editing in MTS is very robust. Giel has purposefully chosen not to implement a "one-touch draw" system because that leads to a lot of accidental notes being programmed. I do miss that one feature from other apps like Gadget (which does not have MIDI export), but I understand. All of the functionality, however, is there, including note lassoing, transposition, changing note duration, velocity, etc. It's the real deal.

There were a string of new MIDI editing apps released last fall, including MIDIPatterns and Pro MIDI. These are pretty good, but I realized that neither of them is as good as the MIDI editor already contained within MTS. It can be tough to convince people they need a $30 DAW when they probably have one of the other ones, but there is SO much value in MTS.