Quantize options and Data display,

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
stubbsonic

Quantize options and Data display,

Post by stubbsonic »

Ok, I'm a little less of a noob now, and I've boiled down my requests to two biggies.

1. Unusual Values in Quantizer: In the Edit Control window, the little submenus for quantize values work well. As an explorer of unusual rhythms, I'd love to see a 4th submenu that allows for some other values.

One option would be to just type in simple ratio; i.e., X number of notes to fit into Y number of beats (as I mentioned before).

Another option would be for the user to type in the grid value (in Beats|Ticks). I suppose this would be the most flexible.

In either case, once the step value is entered in, it would create an ad hoc grid starting on whatever tick the selection starts on, and quantizes on from there, ignoring bar lines.

A third approach would be to provide a reference quantize function (i.e., quantizing to a grid formed by events on another track). The upside of that is that you could also follow both timing and velocity from the reference track.

I'd be delighted with any of the above.

2. Data Display in editing: As I mentioned in my other thread, it would be SO useful to see the start & end location in the little data display in the lower left part of the screen. If I'm dragging one note, show both start and end times in beats & ticks. If I'm dragging a group of notes, show the start time of the first note. If I'm dragging the tail of a note to change duration, show the end time of the note. If I'm dragging the tails of multiple notes, perhaps show the end time of the last note. (or perhaps others have an opinion about whether that should be the first or last note of the selection). Also, when dragging velocities in the controller editor, it doesn't display the velocity of the control sliders as they go up or down.

One little UI thing to fix-- in the MIDI editor, in Select Part mode, if I select a range of MIDI notes and open the edit control, it still shows "Volume" (rather than velocity). It is correct in the other modes. In this Edit Control window, the "volume/velocity" slider appears to be a relative adjuster. In other words, it appears to preserve velocity differences and adds or subtracts from the original velocities. That's fine. Alternatively, a percentage slider could also be useful, but if I had to choose only one, I'd keep it as it is. I use add/subtract way more often.

This app continues to be a great source of fun & fascination. What a powerhouse!

I promise I won't nag anymore. :)
Support

Re: Quantize options and Data display,

Post by Support »

stubbsonic wrote:1. Unusual Values in Quantizer
Thank for the suggestion. I've added it to the request-list.
stubbsonic wrote:2. Data Display in editing:
I'll consider this for the next release.
stubbsonic wrote:Also, when dragging velocities in the controller editor, it doesn't display the velocity of the control sliders as they go up or down.
Good catch!
stubbsonic wrote:One little UI thing to fix-- in the MIDI editor, in Select Part mode, if I select a range of MIDI notes and open the edit control, it still shows "Volume" (rather than velocity).
Select Part mode basically lets you edit MIDI as if it were audio, so 'volume' is probably more appropriate in this case.
stubbsonic wrote:I promise I won't nag anymore. :)
No problem. It's called 'customer feedback' :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Giel!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Support wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:One little UI thing to fix-- in the MIDI editor, in Select Part mode, if I select a range of MIDI notes and open the edit control, it still shows "Volume" (rather than velocity).
Select Part mode basically lets you edit MIDI as if it were audio, so 'volume' is probably more appropriate in this case.
I can appreciate that simplicity/logic. However, MIDI has a "volume" control, it is CC7 which is distinct from velocity. So if I see a VOLUME slider, I assume it is scaling all CC7's in the track. Is that what it is supposed to be doing? Also, with MIDI synths, velocity can be doing way more than changing the volume. If the slider is adjusting velocities, it should just say that, rather than trying to copy the mode of another complete different editor, IMHO.

Thanks.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In short, MIDI VOLUME and MIDI VELOCITY are not interchangeable.

Velocity may or may not control amplitude, timbre, filter, or other parameters. Volume exists as it's own control source.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This topic of MIDI Part Mode and volume vs. velocity got me to thinking.

You COULD actually have a working VOLUME function in MIDI Part Mode, if it worked on CC7. If I select a time range in MIDI Part Mode and set the volume slider to some value, it would have to do several things. First, it would need to chase back to see if there is a CC7 prior to the selection point, it would also need to look for CC7's within the selection. Then it will put a CC7 controller at the beginning of that time range and scale CC7 values already in the selection. I would be a little tricky because on one hand, if it is scaling existing CC7 events, the slider would work differently then just putting in an absolute value for the CC7.

In any case, using the word Volume to describe Velocity should just be eliminated, because it implies CC7 control messages.
Support

Post by Support »

stubbsonic wrote:You COULD actually have a working VOLUME function in MIDI Part Mode, if it worked on CC7.
That could be a good solution indeed. Thanks.

Giel Bremmers