Wireless MIDI TRANSMISSION and MTS for IPAD.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Wireless MIDI TRANSMISSION and MTS for IPAD.

Post by KenHardy »

Quicco Sound Inc. now sells the "Mi.1", a wireless Midi DIN In/Out transmitter/receiver ($49, Amazon.com) which is self-powered and can be paired to many Bluetooth enabled Apps (including Korg Sound Module, Garage Band, and many, many others). My Mi.1 works very nicely with no detectable latency in sending wireless MIDI from my Korg M1 into my iPad Air when paired to Bluetooth enabled apps, including the two mentioned above. When my iPad's Bluetooth is enabled and my Korg/Mi.1 combo is powered up, Mi.1 BLUETOOTH shows up under MTS Devices in both MIDI INPUT and MIDI OUTPUT. However, choosing Mi.1 Bluetooth as the MIDI input device does not enable MIDI data to be input to MTS's General MIDI sound generator, suggesting to me that MTS is not yet Bluetooth enabled. Wireless MIDI transmission is a powerful new technology which is clearly in the future given the Bluetooth features resident in iOS devices, and the several new and inexpensive transmitting/receiving devices now appearing on the market. Am I doing something wrong, or is Bluetooth not yet enabled in MTS? If not, is that being considered for future updates?

Dr. K.
Support

Re: Wireless MIDI TRANSMISSION and MTS for IPAD.

Post by Support »

I'll look into that.
Did you try their 'mi1.connect' app? Looks like that's supposed to make the device work with apps that don't support Bluetooth MIDI.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Yes, I did, but that App has proven controversial. It was initially engineered to update firmware for the Mi.1 device and to potentially enable the Mi.1 to link to various virtual midi Apps. However, the initial instructions on how to use the mi1.connect app were quite nebulous (written by non-English speaking developers), and even worse, the instruction sheet accompanying the MI.1 has an incorrect picture of the device, leading users to install it backwards, bricking the device during attempts at the v2 firmware update (multiple initial users complain about this bitterly in Amazon.com reviews). Quicco's website was also very poorly constructed, difficult to understand, and nebulous in its information. Apparently, the current main purpose of the mi1.connect App is just to update the Mi.1's firmware to version 2. Prior to updating it, the Mi.1 (in my hands) is not recognized at all as a Bluetooth device, either by my iPad or any of its Apps. After the update (if done correctly), the ipad sees and can connect to the Mi.1, and Bluetooth enabled apps like Korg Module and Garageband each individually see the device as an App-enableable option, permitting you to pair/connect them separately to the Mi.1. Thus, the Mi1.connect App is no longer intended to be used for connecting the Mi1 device to any virtual MIDI Apps (even though it still looks that way). That Bluetooth function is now apparently App-specific (and not yet available in MTS).
The mi.1 is quite quirky and often seems unwilling to connect to the ipad and/or to any Bluetooth-enabled iPad Apps (as Bluetooth tends to be in general). Further it will go "off-line" if the iPad is moved too far from the Mi.1 and reconnection seems to require re-powering of the keyboard/Mi.1 combo and sometimes the ipad itself (a major PITA). However, once a pairing has been established and the iPad and keyboard are no longer moved around, the device works perfectly with no detectable latency.....actually quite as nicely as a direct USB connection.
One of the neat things about wireless MIDI is that the Mi.1 can potentially wirelessly connect any powered MIDI DIN keyboard to any iPad (except the iPad1). Thus, for stage keyboardists, all you might need to bring to a house gig is your Mi.1 and your iPad. You could get all of your favorite sounds from playing off of even the cheapest of house keyboards. I just bid on (and won from E-bay....$120) a cheap, lightweight (23 lbs) 88 key Alesis Q88 powered Midi Controller Keyboard (which has both USB and MIDI DIN Out ports) to use for live performance. I will be using my iPad air as its wireless sound engine, USB connected via an Apple CCK to an HRT Microstreamer DAC to give me high quality, 24 bit stereo sound output. This will allow me to replace my very heavy 61 key Korg M1 with the lightweight, full-sized Alesis Q88. The iPad sound modules blow my Korg M1 away anyhow, and Korg now even sells a cheap, M1 specific sound module for ipad from which I can access all of the old M1 sounds if/when I ever want to. Conservation of effort, time, quality and money...a nice mixture.
Dr. K.
Support

Post by Support »

KenHardy wrote:That Bluetooth function is now apparently App-specific (and not yet available in MTS).
I've played with this today. AFAICS all MTS needs to do is provide access to the Bluetooth MIDI connection panels.
However, it seems like it actually works as-is if you use other apps to set up the Bluetooth MIDI connection. I managed to play the MTS keyboard on iPad A, and receive the MIDI events in MTS on iPad B.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

I'm just not sure that will currently work for pairing an external Keyboard/Mi.1 combo to MTS in an iPad. For instance, establishing a functioning Bluetooth MIDI wireless connection between Mi.1 and the Korg Module does not permit Midi transmission to GarageBand in the same ipad, until "Mi.1 Bluetooth" is separately "connected" within that iPad's GarageBand optional settings. Similarly, despite having fully paired and functional wireless MIDI connections between Mi.1 and both Korg Module and GarageBand of my iPad, no MIDI data is received by MTS in the same iPad, even though "mi.1 Bluetooth" appears and is selected as a choice under MTS's, "Devices: MIDI Input". Seems like some other mechanism of making MTS recognize the wireless MIDI transmission is needed.
Dr. K.
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Just FYI....it seems the mi.1 Connect app is now little more than a Midi monitor and a firmware update App. When Mi.1 Bluetooth is activated (within a Bluetooth enabled App, like Korg Module), the mi.1 Connect App recognizes that module as well as others, including MTS, in the list of virtual midi destinations. However, unlike the functioning Korg Module, no MIDI data actually reaches MTS. Further, no visible changes made within the mi.1 Connect App itself (other than firmware update) seem to have any function whatsoever (i.e. it is just a monitor). I have now tested the Mi.1 wireless Midi device with both my KORG M1 and my Kurzweil PC1-x, and it pairs and transmits to the ipad perfectly from both. It receives power only from the MIDI DIN OUT port of each, and will pair via Bluetooth even when plugged into the MIDI OUT port, but not the MIDI IN port. This is ideal for USB MIDI controller keyboards that have both MIDI DIN OUT and USB PORTS, but have no need for MIDI IN ports (such as the Alesis Q-series keyboards). Use of wireless MIDI transmission free's up the iPad's LIGHTNING USB port, thus potentially allowing the iPad to remain constantly connected to its charger, eliminating battery discharge. While still somewhat glitchy, I do believe this is the future of MIDI. The Japanese have done it again!
DR. K.
Support

Post by Support »

The next release will support Bluetooth LE MIDI.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Post by KenHardy »

Giel.....you are the MAN!! And MTS IS THE DAW!!

Dr. K.