Turn off "follow playhead"?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Parry

Turn off "follow playhead"?

Post by Parry »

Hello,

I've just purchased MTS and do like it very much so far, but I'm used to edit zoomed-in parts of a loop while it plays and that is hardly possible, when the view follows the current playhead-position. Is there a workaround for this?

Kind regards!
Support

Re: Turn off "follow playhead"?

Post by Support »

Parry wrote:I've just purchased MTS and do like it very much so far, but I'm used to edit zoomed-in parts of a loop while it plays and that is hardly possible, when the view follows the current playhead-position. Is there a workaround for this?
All you can currently do is make sure the selected part is entirely visible. Something like 'turn off follow playhead' is on the list, but I don't think it will be done soon.

Giel Bremmers
Parry

Post by Parry »

Ok, thank you. Perhaps you could take some other form of event-handling into consideration. It is sometimes really hard to catch smaller midi-notes on the right point. So I often resize a note, but actually want to move it. I think, it is a general problem with event-handlers integrated into the event itself. Perhaps you could offer an alternative in some future update, where one can switch to external event-handlers in the preferences-menu, like they are realized in Nanostudio. Out of my view, this would have only advantages. It is much more precise and does not lead to fiddling around that much with more events displayed.

With external handles you would also have a clear view on the note and the destination, wich helps a lot by moving smaller notes and it would allow for more different handles, regardless of the note-sitze.

Otherwise I like the workflow of MTS so much. It makes a lot of fun to arrange with it and it offers very clever editing-functions.
Support

Post by Support »

Parry wrote:Ok, thank you. Perhaps you could take some other form of event-handling into consideration. It is sometimes really hard to catch smaller midi-notes on the right point. So I often resize a note, but actually want to move it. I think, it is a general problem with event-handlers integrated into the event itself. Perhaps you could offer an alternative in some future update, where one can switch to external event-handlers in the preferences-menu, like they are realized in Nanostudio. Out of my view, this would have only advantages. It is much more precise and does not lead to fiddling around that much with more events displayed.

With external handles you would also have a clear view on the note and the destination, wich helps a lot by moving smaller notes and it would allow for more different handles, regardless of the note-sitze.
I'll consider that. It may cause some unexpected problems I think. If multiple notes are selected the handles can easily overlap, for example.

Giel Bremmers
Parry

Post by Parry »

Would be absolutely great, to see this form of event-handling in MTS. I'm convinced, that it is by far the most elegant and effective way to handle events on a touch screen-device and it would put MTS ahead of the competition, when it comes to good workflow. In my opinion it is already ahead, but that would put the icing on the cake.

I'm not sure, if I understand your statement about multiple selected events correctly. The amount of handles would not increase. If multiple notes are selected, they would be manipulated with the same handles as single notes. One handle would act on all selected notes. The handles are positioned staticely on the bottom of the editor-window. One handle for note-position on x-axis, one for y-axis, one for lenght, and optional one for note begin. Pressing and holding a handle after note(s) have been selected and moving the finger afterward on the corresponding axis changes the note-positon/length/begin.

There are many advantages with this form of note handling, like I've described them in my post before. One disadvantage is, that the handles do eat some display-space in the editor, but that's minor, cause the handles can be designed quite small and unobtrusive. They can have the size of small push-buttons. Another disadvantage may be, that it is a two step action: selecting the note(s) first and manipulation it/them afterwards. But that's a thing, one get's pretty fast used to and the advantages of this method are far more significant in comparison to this little drawbacks, in my opinion.

Thats the way, it has been realized in Nanostudio and Beatmaker and it allows very precise and fast note-manipulation, with a great workflow. It may seem not as intuitive and immediate on the first look, but really pays off long term. I was somewhat turned off, when I've read in the Nanostudio-manual, how note-maipulation works, but after half an hour using it, I was just amazed by the fluid workflow.

I'm sure MTS and any other current iOS DAW would greatly benefit from that form of note-handling. It could be optional, of course, but I'm pretty sure, many people, who have spent some time with this, would never look back. It may seem natural to place handles on the event itself and perhaps it works good on mouse-driven desktop devices. But on touchscreen devices with small screens, like the iPad it is not very effective and precise, I think.

Many thanks for taking my suggestion into consideration!
Parry

Post by Parry »

What I forgot to mention is, that the handle for shifting the note, or multiple notes across the y-axis, in order to change its key, should be placed on the middle of the left or right border of the editing window and not at the bottom.