An other form of event-handling

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Parry

An other form of event-handling

Post by Parry »

Hello,

I've posted about this topic already in the "turn off follow playhead" thread and got a response, but because it was about a different matter than the thread-titel, I've opened this thread. So please excuse me, for posting again about this topic, but it seems very desirable to me, to have midi-note editing in a reliable and precise way integrated into MTS . MTS is already the DAW of choice for me and provides the very best workflow of the current options, imo.

I have high hopes to see an alternative form of note-handling, in a future update or upgrade of MTS and would be glad to support the development by buying an extension, which provides such an alternative.

It can be fiddly and frustrating to modify the position and size of smaller notes, especially if many small notes are displayed at once. That is a problem MTS shares with Cubasis, and it can really break the workflow of a midi-editor, imo. Even on a more zoomed in view with larger notes, the handling isn't optimal in current DAW's.

I think, that this issue can only be addressed with a completely different form of event-handles, like they are realized in Nanostudio or Beatmaker 2. Integrating handles into midi-notes is common practice with current iOS-DAW's, perhaps bacause it seems natural and works for mouse-driven desktop computers. But in a real-world workflow on the ipad it is neither efficient nor precise. It doesn't fit for a small touch-screen, like that of the ipad.

If I touch a small note, within a somewhat smaller grid, in order to move it, it is partly obscured by my finger and I don't know for sure, which handle I am on. And when I move it, the destination will get also partly obscured and I can't be sure, where the note lands. This makes precise movement of small midi-events nearly impossible.

An other thing is, when I want to move smaller notes, I often resize them, instead of moving, cause the handles are too close together.

This problems do not occur on mouse-driven desktop computers, thats why integrated event-handles do work on these platforms. But they can't be adopted to the ipad, without the previously expressed major drawbacks.

Both problems can be avoided, by offering discrete, static event-handles. They would always have the same size and position. The finger won't obscure the view while manipulating notes, cause the handles are placed on the bottom and right border of the editor. This has also the advantage, that all handles are always visible, regardless of the note-size,

All in all only 4 handles would be necessary: x-position,y-position (key),length and note-begin. While the y-position handle could be placed on the middle right border of the editor, the other handles could be placed on the bottom. They will be moved, like traditional, integrated handles on their corresponding axis. Each handle needs to have only the size of a small push-button.

This concept requires a 2-stpep action for editing notes. First selecting one, or multiple notes and second manipulation them with one of the four handles. Thats somewhat, one gets pretty fast used to. This way notes can be moved and resized with great precision, the workflow is fluid and fast.

This way it has been realized in Nanostudio and Beatmaker 2 and perhaps it is one of the reasons for the high praises, Nanostudio still gets from a lot of folks, even todays, for its great workflow.

I've created a rough draft, how MTS could look like with discrete handles and can send the JPG via e-mail to you if you like.

Thank you for reading this somewhat lengthy text and taking it into consideration. MTS is a great DAW and I'm looking forward to future updates and upgrades.

Kind regards!
Support

Re: An other form of event-handling

Post by Support »

Parry wrote:I've created a rough draft, how MTS could look like with discrete handles and can send the JPG via e-mail to you if you like.
Bring it on (support@multitrackstudio.com). I'm warming up to the idea already, a good picture could be all that's needed to convince me ;-)

Giel Bremmers
Parry

Post by Parry »

Great to hear, that you consider this! I've just sent you the draft as a JPG-image via e-mail. I can't wait, to see this type of event-handling realized in MTS, somedays. As I've said already, I would happily pay for an IAP, which offers such a feature and I'm convinced, that others would also do. I'm sure this would make the workflow in the midi-editor a lot more satisfying. And it would take MTS into an unique position compared to other current DAW's. It would be the only DAW, known to me, which is under active development, offering this type of note-handling. I'm sure, it would be a win for MTS.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Wow. Parry. You get an enthusiastic +1 from me.

You've identified THE most frustrating things about editing MIDI notes on a touch screen, and a very elegant solution.

Though I would pay for an IAP for this feature, I think so many users would really appreciate this, it'd be worth making it a standard feature.

Let's hope it makes "the list"!!
Parry

Post by Parry »

Many Thanks! I just wanted to draw attention onto this awesome way of event-handling on touch-screen-devices, which I first found in Nanostudio and later in Beatmaker 2. It would be great, to see this concept being resurrected in some future update/upgrade of MTS, cause I think it gives a great workflow and is very precise.
thus

Post by thus »

Yes, Parry, thanks for proposing this great improvement.
Parry

Post by Parry »

Maybe it could be a wise move, to make this optional. Discrete handles, like in Nanostudio or Beatmaker 2 do have advantages, which are weighing out their disadvantages in practical usage by far, imo., but they could turn off some new users, or potential buyers, cause they do seem less immediate at first glance. Our logical thinking tells us, handling note events by touching them directly is a good thing on touch-screen devices. How good discrete handles do work under frequent usage and the advantages they do offer over conventional handles, could be not that obvious to new users and potential buyers, perhaps. Offering both seems to be a safe bet. Just my two cents, of course.