Automate program/patch change

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
carnbot

Automate program/patch change

Post by carnbot »

Hi,
Is there a way to automate program change messages to an IAA/virtual synth and external instruments on the ipad version?

I'm not expert at this yet but this is usually automating cc 0 and cc 32 I think, but these are missing from the controller list in the track view.

It would be great to add program and bank change to the list to automate. Is this a matter of editing a patchmap file and then it would appear in the list?

many thanks
Support

Re: Automate program/patch change

Post by Support »

carnbot wrote:Is there a way to automate program change messages to an IAA/virtual synth and external instruments on the ipad version?
No. Neither can the desktop version by the way.
You'll have to use separate tracks for each sound. This isn't possible with IAA because there can only be one instance of an app, so you'd have to use virtual MIDI instead.

You can have multiple tracks using an external instrument, all using the same MIDI channel. MTS will take care of sending all controllers when another track starts sending notes.

Giel Bremmers
carnbot

Post by carnbot »

Ok thanks Giel,
So is there a way to set a Bank select (MSB, LSB) and program number for a virtual midi instrument?
I can only see that option for the external instrument.
Support

Post by Support »

carnbot wrote:So is there a way to set a Bank select (MSB, LSB) and program number for a virtual midi instrument?
There isn't :oops:
Are there apps that actually need this? AFAIK apps typically allow for picking sounds from their own GUI.

Giel Bremmers
carnbot

Post by carnbot »

It can be a useful option I think for various apps you can change parameters by program change cc's.
This is useful for automating a patch change mid sequence.

Also useful for saving a state of an app so you recall the specific patch used in a synth via virtual midi for example since you can't save that in an MTS project.

Not just instrument patch changes too.

For example one usage I am trying to set up at the moment is for Stroke machine. You can change patterns by sending a program change message. so a specific chain of program change cc's can recall certain patterns in order. Then I can sync with MTS and record the sequence whilst adding other instruments from other apps etc

I think I can probably use another midi app to reroute cc messages to do this maybe. But doing this all from MTS would be ideal :)