Live loop recording

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Parry

Live loop recording

Post by Parry »

Hi, today I’ve started to fiddle a bit with loop-based recording and stumbled across one thing, I do not understand completely. Perhaps it was just because I did not set up MTS properly.

I’ve set up a loop of 4 bars, made a drum-track, to have a timing reference and played in some notes with my keyboard on a second track, during looped recording. But in the next loop-cycle the played in notes where not played back and where not visible in the editor. In the next step, I’ve stopped recording, whereafter the notes appeared in the editor and have been played back after pressing play.

My workflow is for a big part loop-based, which is perhaps somewhat different, than that of many MTS-users, who are used to play in a track, or at least longer parts of it at once. But I think, many people, who are mainly interested in creation of electronic music are using a loop based approach.

So - being able to hear played in notes during a recording directly in the next loop-cycle and to see them appearing live in the editor would be a great thing. I fiddled with the different recording-options, but had no success. Perhaps I’m just missing something?
Support

Re: Live loop recording

Post by Support »

It records multiple takes. When done you can use the track editor's UNDO/REDO buttons to step through the takes.

Stacking recordings the way you suggest currently isn't possible.

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

I would like to be able to hear the recorded instruments in the loop while recording.
e.g. When recording drums lay down the bass drum then as the loop continues looping hear the Bass drum while adding the snare drum, hear the snare and bass drum while adding the high hats etc.
Or is this already possible?
I can't do it so if it is possible how is it done?
Parry

Post by Parry »

Sorry, I was not clear about that: What I meant was midi-loop recording. I know of the problems with layered loops if it regards audio-tracks. But with midi, it should not be problematic, to add up notes and play the sum back live as long, as a the loop record. This would be helpful to some of us, who are used to develop songs in a loop-based way. For example developing a drum-track like @uncle808us mentioned it in the post before.
Support

Post by Support »

MultitrackStudio currently can't do loop recording like that. It's a good idea, but it would take quite a bit of work to implement.

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

:D :shock: :lol: Well get to work.... Kidding.