Recording MIDI tracks from a sequencer & a synth it controls

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
AgentKlx

Recording MIDI tracks from a sequencer & a synth it controls

Post by AgentKlx »

Hi everybody! What is the best ways to achieve the following in MTS:
1- Recording a MIDI track of a sequencer (let´s call it SEQ1) while it's controlling a synth (Synth.X)
2- Recording a MIDI track of the synth being controlled (Synth.X)
3- Recording the AUDIO track of the synth while it's being controlled (Synth.X)
4- Recording the AUDIO track of the sequencer when using its internal synth engine (SynSeq)

How do I select the following options in each case:
- Input Device
- Output Device
- Midi Clock
- Preferences
- MTSi

Thanks for your help :)
AgentKlx

Re: Recording MIDI tracks from a sequencer & a synth it cont

Post by AgentKlx »

Can someone help?
Support

Post by Support »

AgentKlx wrote:1- Recording a MIDI track of a sequencer (let´s call it SEQ1) while it's controlling a synth (Synth.X)
2- Recording a MIDI track of the synth being controlled (Synth.X)
What's the difference between 1 and 2? If you're recording the MIDI events which are being sent to a synth you're actually just recording the source.
Does SEQ1 appear in the Input Device box?
AgentKlx wrote:3- Recording the AUDIO track of the synth while it's being controlled (Synth.X)
4- Recording the AUDIO track of the sequencer when using its internal synth engine (SynSeq)
You can record the audio output of another app using Audiobus.

Giel Bremmers
AgentKlx

Post by AgentKlx »

Hi Giel,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm new to MTS but really like it on my iPad and admire how reactive you are on the forum.

a) The difference is theoretically zero: SEQ1 sends MIDI data to Synth.X which performs them. Both are on the same channel. No problem there. But while the synth is playing, i use its second oscillator to improvise some chords. I can clearly hear the difference between the sequenced part and the improvised one. I'd like to record the MIDI data stream from both SEQ1 and the improvisation data from the second oscillator of Synth.X: is it possible in MTS and how do i do it?

b) Thx for suggesting AB. I'll try it today.
Support

Post by Support »

AgentKlx wrote:a) The difference is theoretically zero: SEQ1 sends MIDI data to Synth.X which performs them. Both are on the same channel. No problem there. But while the synth is playing, i use its second oscillator to improvise some chords. I can clearly hear the difference between the sequenced part and the improvised one. I'd like to record the MIDI data stream from both SEQ1 and the improvisation data from the second oscillator of Synth.X: is it possible in MTS and how do i do it?
The synth must send these notes via MIDI in order to be able to record them, obviously.

I'd try using the synth as a Virtual MIDI App:
- longtap a track's instrument slot and pick the synth from the Virtual MIDI Apps section.
- make the synth send its MIDI output to 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording'

Now you can record the track, and the synth's MIDI output will be recorded.

Giel Bremmers