Volume Patterns using the MIDI Volume Control Editor

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Drdrdaddeo

Volume Patterns using the MIDI Volume Control Editor

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

I’m trying to layer in some MIDI strings starting very softly, then gradually getting louder, and then slowly getting soft again. However if I use the MIDI Volume CONTR window in the MTS MIDI track editing GUI, the lines do not continuously connect to all the dots (as they do when using the automated volume control). As a result, I can’t create volume cresendo’s and decresendo’s unless I draw the patterns in using my finger. The latter is very awkward because the finger blocks the view of the volume curve as it is being drawn. Is there any way to make the dots stay connected to the lines exactly the way they do using the automated volume function. Why does the MIDI Volume controller do this anyway? I suspect either I am doing something wrong, or there is a problem in the MIDI CONTR window, as this same disconnect of dot and lines occurs with whatever CONTR function is chosen (I.e volume, pan, sustain, chorus, etc., etc.). Is this a bug, or something I just don’t understand?
Support

Re: Volume Patterns using the MIDI Volume Control Editor

Post by Support »

MIDI controller editors don't "connect the dots" because MIDI doesn't work that way: a MIDI synth just obeys the controller value, it doesn't interpolate between values. It can't, actually, because it doesn't know the next dot until it arrives.

If you're not using an external MIDI instrument you can use an Automated Fader effect to program volume changes instead.

Giel Bremmers
Drdrdaddeo

Re: Volume Patterns using the MIDI Volume Control Editor

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

Thank you so much, GIEL. I now fully understand. When I use an external MIDI instrument, recording the volume pattern is not a problem anyhow as I can adjust the volume while recording using a midi volume foot controller plugged into the USB device that I am playing (ex. My ALESIS G88 USB Keyboard). Or I could simply adjust the volume slider manually with the left hand while playing and recording with the right hand (when recording from a less sophisticated MIDI keyboard such as my M-Audio KeyRig 49). It’s just that editing after the fact using the MIDI VOLUME CONTR is virtually impossible. But yes, by using the automatic fader the desired volume changes can be manually edited in after the basic midi recording. After playing around for a while, I found that an even easier approach is to activate the automation recording button at the bottom right of the GUI. Then simply manually adjusting the volume slider during MIDI track playback will give you whatever volume pattern you want, and the track will remember it when it is replayed. Related, the track automation editor can then also be easily used after the manual edit to fine tune it, because the dots are indeed connected in that editor. Wow.....MTS can do everything! What a great recording program!

Drdrdaddeo