Quantize/Snap custom tuplet syntax

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
stubbsonic

Quantize/Snap custom tuplet syntax

Post by stubbsonic »

Are there some basic rules for the syntax of setting custom tuplets?

"x in y/z"

So, presumably there's a range for X. It is unclear what range y has, and what value z must be. We can assume that the final value of y/z is in "4 beat" units (based on whole notes-- which are 4 beats). I find that tradition to be pointlessly complicated. If we are in 6/8, a dotted-quarter is one beat, and a whole note has no relevance. It is the same with other non-4/4 time sigs. The whole note is just an arbitrary symbol with no intrinsic value.

A simpler formula would be X:Y (steps:beats)

Y beats are defined by whatever beat is defined in the BPM tempo.

So if you set the time-signature such that the beat definition is ambiguous, 3/2, or 6/8, or 5/8-- however the DAW interprets this to define the BPM, the same beat definition is used for the step:beat ratio.
Colrik

Re: Quantize/Snap custom tuplet syntax

Post by Colrik »

As far as I know, a tuplet is an irregular division relatively to the meter. So it is an odd division in a binary meter and an even division in a ternary meter.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have tried to enter values into those three slots where it would not work.

It wasn't clear what values it is expecting to see, and what is illegal.

It's not clear if there are limitations for what X or Y can be. I can understand if Z needs to be 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16.
Support

Post by Support »

x = 1..32
y = 1
z = 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32

Giel Bremmers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed.

Y=1

That's where I was breaking the law.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It would blow open some doors if Y was able to be some other numbers even just 1-8. But yea, I could see how that is easier said than done.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

With the new 3.7 update, the Y value can now be changed to something besides 1.

I did a few kind of random entries and it wasn't really clear how it works.

I'm I understanding it correctly that X is the number of divisions that you are setting, and Y/Z is the amount of time over which the divisions are spread.

And the fraction of Y/Z ends up being such that the resulting value is 1=4 beats.

So if I say "3 in 1/2" then it is dividing a 1/2 note into 3 parts, so 3 steps per 2 beats (3:2).

If I say "4 in 3/4" then it is dividing 3 beats into 4 steps per 3 beats (4:3)

If I want 7 steps spread over 2.5 beats, I might say 7 in 5/8 which might be expressed as 14 steps per 5 beats.

It does simplify what I enter.

Some things get rejected, so there is a rule I'm missing.
Support

Post by Support »

Y can be 1..Z

Giel Bremmers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Got it.

So that means that Y/Z can never be more than 1 (which is 4 beats). The full range of possibilities for Y/Z is from an 8th of a beat to whole note. A tuplet over a range larger than 4 beats is not possible.

But tricks could be used to work around that a little bit. If I want a X over 5 beats, I can set X in 5/8 and get a useful doubled grid. If I want X over 6 beats, I can use X in 3/4, if I want X over 7 beats, I can use 7/8. Etc. I would then use every other step in the grid.

Our traditional notation system has a built-in bias toward 4-beats as the "universal unit". There is nothing special about 4 beats. Steps:Beats is more logical and elegant. While traditional musicians are used to this math: 1/8=1/2, 1/4= 1, 1/16=1/4, it has always made communication more complicated than necessary.

I dream of a world where we just rename the notes. We would refer to the currrent "quarter note" as a whole note (gets a whole beat), and a single-flag beam as a half-note (as it gets a half beat), a 16th note would be called a quarter, and so on. Note values larger than 1 beat, would be called double, triple and quad. A triplet would be called a "third beat" (to differentiate it from an interval).

Nothing would need to change about notation or time signatures. The names would just change the thinking away from 4-beat bias. It is still inherently a binary system, so there would be some little hitches, but all of it could be easily tweaked.