AUi3 Midi Issue with iSymphonic after a year of working well

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Chrissalt

AUi3 Midi Issue with iSymphonic after a year of working well

Post by Chrissalt »

I've been using MTS for iPad for 3 years now and it is my GoTo music app for recording and mixing.

Until recently I have been using the AUi plugins for Ravenscroft 275 piano and iSymphonic to great effect and have achieved some excellent sounds, orchestral mixes and recordings.

For some reason the iSymphonic instruments within the AUi system has stopped working in MTS and repeatedly triggers the error message 'This plug in seems to have crashed.... reload". I've tried reloading but without success. I have also tried it through the IAA plug in but get the same message. The Ravenscroft and other plug ins still work well within MTS but not iSymponic. (iSymphnic works independently through bluetooth from my midi keyboard without any problems)

I have fully deleted both MTS and iSymphonic off my iPad (iPadPro 12 inch 2017) undertaken a complete power off and then re downloaded MTS from the Apple App Store. I tried using it with Ravenscroft, iSEM, Sunrizer and Sensual Sax which all worked well and continue to do so. I then re-downloaded iSymphonic and a number of sound libraries from the App Store and restored my purchases. Feeling hopeful that I could return to my usual set up, I created a new song with a new midi track but again iSymphonic would not perform. It is there in the MTS AUi list but when selected, comes up with the same error message 'this plugin seems to have crashed.... reload"

I have tested iSymphonic separately and it works fine but I dislike their midi recording software.

Might it be that there is an issue in my iPad Cache somewhere which doesn't reset or cleanly relaunch the AUi capabilities during a full power off?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thank you.
Support

Re: AUi3 Midi Issue with iSymphonic after a year of working well

Post by Support »

You can send a report after it happens (see Studio --> Contact). Perhaps there's something in there.

Did you ask the iSymphonic people for help? It's their app that crashes, so they should be in a much better position to find out what happened.

Giel Bremmers
Jack_Wabba

Post by Jack_Wabba »

I got the same issue. In GarageBand, for example, isymphonic orchestra au works well. Seems that it’s something in MTS

Edit: sent you a report
Support

Post by Support »

iSymphonic crashes if used with MTS since its April 30 update. Please report the issue to Crudebytes.

Giel Bremmers
Jack_Wabba

Post by Jack_Wabba »

Got a reply from CrudeByte

that's a problem introduced by an iOS update. So it is a bug on iOS level.
Other DAW apps are using workarounds to mitigate the root cause, but it
actually has to be fixed by Apple.

If you have further questions, just let me know!

Thanks, your
Crudebyte Support Team
Support

Post by Support »

Did you try last week's iSymphonic update? Looks like they solved this.

Giel Bremmers
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

It's not solved for the iPadPro. Used in combination with Cubasis 3 Oriental Strings works as AU or IAA, while with MTS Studio Oriental Strings can't be used as either AU or IAA. There are also issues with apps not from Crudebyte, that do run using hosts such as Auria Pro or Cubasis 3, but fail to work when using MTS Studio.
Support

Post by Support »

I now have a copy of Oriental Strings, and I found it crashes because MTS sends MIDI messages to set the pitch bend range.

Here's what you can do to prevent it from doing that:

- open the track editor
- tap CONTR (bottom left) to open the controller editor
- tap the left hand side and pick the Pitch controller
- tap the 'R' near the bottom left corner.
- in the new Pitch Bend Range window, set Semitones to 0.

Now load (or reload) Oriental Strings, and it should work.
Does it help for other Crudebytes AUs too?

Giel Bremmers
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thank you, the workaround does the job for Oriental Strings, Heavy Brass and iSymphonic AU. When loading a song there's no need for manual intervention. It works for Oriental Strings, Heavy Brass and iSymphonic IAA (without glitches ;), too. Each time when loading a song manual intervention is required. Setting from 0 to 1 or more semitones and back to 0 semitones. What is the MTS Studio semitones setting for?
Recording and playing 2 semitones pitch bend still works (if selected by the instrument's settings).
Tested with a 48 KHz song and internal speakers. At least the Oriental Strings AU works for a 44.1 KHz song and internal speakers. I didn't test the other apps at 44.1 KHz.
Support

Post by Support »

Ralf wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:32 am Thank you, the workaround does the job for Oriental Strings, Heavy Brass and iSymphonic AU.
Nice!

Ralf wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:32 am What is the MTS Studio semitones setting for?
It sends a MIDI message to the MIDI instrument. The MIDI instrument can then change the pitch bend range to the new value. It's usually 2 semitones, but it can be up to two octaves. This can be useful for glissandi.

It only works if the MIDI instrument supports setting the pitch bend range of course. Most apps don't.

The '0' value means "don't send the value at all". This was added because some apps use the related controller messages for other things.

Giel Bremmers
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thank you,

I wasn't aware of Pitch Bend Sensitivity which is part of the MPE specs. I wrote MIDI software during the middle 80s to early 90s when MPE didn't exist.

Regards,
Ralf