Default effects and aux sends

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Ralf

Default effects and aux sends

Post by Ralf »

Hi,

please, with the next update refrain from assuming that the user wants a particular reverb or limiter. Don't add effects by default to a new song. It's annoying to remove them. Users who expect special defaults should use templates. If I start a new empty song, I expect it to be empty.

Even way more annoying is that effect sends for new tracks aren't at -∞ by default, instead they default to -20 and send audible frame inaccurate audio signals.

Regards,
Ralf
Support

Re: Default effects and aux sends

Post by Support »

Having no limiter in the Master isn't really an option I think. The output can clip badly without one.
Ralf wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:57 am and send audible frame inaccurate audio signals.
The effect sends are perfectly sample accurate. They're mono, I guess that's what you're hearing.

The iPad version sets the mixer up to a bit of reverb automatically indeed.
Currently the easiest way to get rid if all that is to engage the effect return's mute button.

Giel Bremmers
Ralf

Re: Default effects and aux sends

Post by Ralf »

To add a limiter by default for "security reasons" during production is fair enough. However, I would prefer to chose the plugins on my own. Btw. is the limiter's input DC offset filtered?

Muting the effect return is an option, if unused, to get rid of audible artifacts, that are maybe caused by interaction of a stereo source with a mono signal and probably not by frame inaccuracy.

To mute the effect return is no option, if it's used. If effect return is used, it's not necessarily used by all channels.

Soon or later it will be used, then the user might need to set a lot of sends to -∞ manually, just to use a few other sends.