Keep losing work (solved!)

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
MisplacedDevelopment

Keep losing work (solved!)

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

I keep hitting a problem where plugins crash and I have no route back to an earlier state. Things came to a head yesterday where a Synthmaster 2 crash took out all 6 instances and a later crash took out all 6 Atom 2 instances. In the Synthmaster case the annoyance was that I could not remember which presets I had been using for each track but I had an earlier export from which I managed to get this information. In the Atom 2 case however I lost a few hours of work as I had not been exporting (my fault).

I expect plugins to crash every now and then, that’s no fault of MTS and business as usual, but unless I constantly export my project then I have no way back to the data I was working on. The autosave is great when everything is working but when a plugin crashes then I cannot see any way of getting back to what I was working on 5 minutes ago as the autosave also saves the fact that the plugins all need to be reloaded. I had hoped that quickly shutting down the app would avoid an autosave but I assume a save occurs when you background the process.

Is there a way around this other than constantly exporting the project, or saving the individual state of each plugin manually? I would not mind the need to regularly save as I certainly accept that the onus is on me to do so but I need 6 taps each time I want to export a known good state which means it does not get done very often compared to apps with a save button on the main screen.

Are any of these feasible, or are there some better existing options?

* Maintain a selectable rotating list of autosaves (for me, the ideal solution)
* The plugin Reload dialog that appears after a crash offers the alternative option of reloading an earlier saved state *for that plugin*. The current behaviour is to reload it to its default state, thus losing presets and any user data which might have been created inside the plugin.
* Reduce the number of taps (ideally to 1 or 2) to export/save a project after it has been exported the first time.

Thanks.
Support

Re: Keep losing work

Post by Support »

Interesting.

The Reload button saves the plugin state, then loads a new instance, and then loads the state. But on iOS a plugin can't save its state after it crashed (that's typically different on Windows/macOS). So you lose the plugin state.

Everything is saved when the app goes to the background. All iOS apps must do that because iOS may kill background apps if it needs more memory. Once again the plugin state will be lost because a plugin that's gone can't save its setting.

I'll look into this.

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

Thanks Giel, anything you can do in this area would be very much appreciated.
Support

Post by Support »

The 4.2 release fixes this. An AU plugin that disappeared and is reloaded now has the state it had when MTS last saved the song.

FTR: MTS saves on these events:
- every 15 minutes (this is done when transport stops)
- when the app goes to the background
- before loading an AU plugin

Giel Bremmers
MisplacedDevelopment

I appreciate this a lot Giel and will be purchasing the final track IAP this evening as a thank you. Thanks also for the snapping dot update which I can’t wait to try out with Atom 2 this evening.
MisplacedDevelopment

Re: Keep losing work (solved!)

I had an opportunity to test this new functionality last night and it worked! I’m not sure exactly how far back the reload went as I had not done anything with that track for a while but it definitely saved me as I had not done a recent export :D
Support

Re: Keep losing work (solved!)

Post by Support »

:mrgreen: