Bank/program select possible?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
MisplacedDevelopment

Bank/program select possible?

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

I am trying to send bank/program select messages to plugins using MTS. I found some old posts which suggested it was not possible but wanted to check whether anything has changed in this area in recent years.

I want to be able to send CC0 + CC32 + Program Change. I can see that it is possible to send PC using articulations but CC0 and CC32 are not exposed as usable controllers. I tried adding a MIDI generator into the MIDI Effect slot but the CC values are filtered out before reaching the plugin. I also tried loading a MIDI file with the data already baked in but again the CC0/32 were filtered out.

I have a couple of use-cases at the moment:

1) IAA apps which we are not able to save the state of with the project like we can with AUv3 (e.g. Korg iM1) - the MIDI itself would contain bank/program information which automatically selects the correct instrument and removes the need to manually set presets in the IAA plugin each time the project is loaded.

2) Where the same plugin is used on iOS and desktop but the plugin state is not compatible and so is not restored - if the patch information is stored as part of the MIDI then this works around the issue of the plugin state not being restored when a project is moved between desktop and iOS.

I put together a Streambyter script which decomposes a SYSEX sent to it to three CC0/32/PC messages as we can include SYSEX in MTS MIDI. I send this SYSEX MIDI to an (external) Streambyter plugin which is pointing at the IAA app. This does work but relies on setting up AUM in the background to route MIDI and host Streambyter. It also does not have an equivalent solution on desktop.
Support

Re: Bank/program select possible?

Post by Support »

The only way to send program or bank messages to an AU instrument is via Articulations.

There are no Articulation for IAA.

Giel Bremmers