Selection Preferences

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
stubbsonic

Selection Preferences

Post by stubbsonic »

Right now, if I want to select a note with the lasso, I have to include the note start and at least 50% of the notes duration in my lasso selection. This requires too much extra dragging, and might include notes I don't want.

Would it be possible to change this, or provide a preference, such that I only need the notes' start point to be included in the lasso selection?

Also, is there a method with which I can add notes one by one to a selection group (akin to shift-clicking in other daws)?
Support

Re: Selection Preferences

Post by Support »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 pm Right now, if I want to select a note with the lasso, I have to include the note start and at least 50% of the notes duration in my lasso selection. This requires too much extra dragging, and might include notes I don't want.
This changed somewhere last year. Before that, either the note start or end had to be in the lasso. This didn't work well with consecutive notes because you couldn't lasso a note start without catching the end of the preceding note too.

Perhaps this 50% thing wasn't a good idea. Would you say most software looks for note starts only?
stubbsonic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 pm Also, is there a method with which I can add notes one by one to a selection gropu (akin to shift-clicking in other daws)?
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you expand on that?

Giel Bremmers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Support wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:13 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 pm Right now, if I want to select a note with the lasso, I have to include the note start and at least 50% of the notes duration in my lasso selection. This requires too much extra dragging, and might include notes I don't want.
This changed somewhere last year. Before that, either the note start or end had to be in the lasso. This didn't work well with consecutive notes because you couldn't lasso a note start without catching the end of the preceding note too.

Perhaps this 50% thing wasn't a good idea. Would you say most software looks for note starts only?
It's the way Digital Performer used to work. Now if the lasso touches any part of the note, it is selected. However, in DP, the lasso itself follows the grid enable choice, so the lasso itself snaps (and I HATE that).

My ideal preference for MTS would be to have the lasso only need to encase the note starts. It's very easy to choice which notes I want this way.
Support wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:13 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 pm Also, is there a method with which I can add notes one by one to a selection group (akin to shift-clicking in other daws)?
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you expand on that?
Say I select a note, then I want to select a 2nd note, then a 3rd. Then apply some process to those three. In Mac, I shift click the 2nd & 3rd notes -- so that the 1st note is not deselected. I wondered if a little button could be added (like a shift) that when pressed and held means that the new selection is added to the previous one.

Also, I don't know if I'm unique in this, but my lasso selections almost always go from upper-left to lower-right. So for me, it would be nice if the lasso select option was at the bottom of that little 4-way selection popup.
Support

Post by Support »

Will look at the lasso.
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:40 pm Say I select a note, then I want to select a 2nd note, then a 3rd. Then apply some process to those three. In Mac, I shift click the 2nd & 3rd notes -- so that the 1st note is not deselected. I wondered if a little button could be added (like a shift) that when pressed and held means that the new selection is added to the previous one.
Ah, OK.
You can add a note to the selection: press a second note, and wait for the mode selector. The 'up' direction is 'Add note to selection'.

Shift-click works on a range of notes: click the first, then shift-click the last. This works in MultitrackStudio for iPad if you connect a keyboard and a mouse. There's currently no way to select notes this way use the touch screen indeed. But you can select a 'part' using the SEL menu's Select Right / Unselect Right options.
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:40 pm Also, I don't know if I'm unique in this, but my lasso selections almost always go from upper-left to lower-right. So for me, it would be nice if the lasso select option was at the bottom of that little 4-way selection popup.
That would break Add, which would have to change direction too: the newly added note would be covered by your finger, so you can't move it to the right location.
FTR: You can select upper-left to lower-right if you move up a little bit until the mode selector disappears.

Giel Bremmers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Support wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:39 am You can add a note to the selection: press a second note, and wait for the mode selector. The 'up' direction is 'Add note to selection'.
A shortcut of holding a finger on the left side just to the left of the vertical keyboard why tapping notes could be an easy way to "shift-click" notes. Adding a keyboard makes sense. Perhaps using the command key to allow for non-contiguous notes to be added to selection would work. (That's consistent with other DAWs and Mac OS.)
Support wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:39 am
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:40 pm Also, I don't know if I'm unique in this, but my lasso selections almost always go from upper-left to lower-right. So for me, it would be nice if the lasso select option was at the bottom of that little 4-way selection popup.
That would break Add, which would have to change direction too: the newly added note would be covered by your finger, so you can't move it to the right location.
Ah that makes sense. Yes, you have so many different use cases to balance.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The lasso now works as I think it should. Thank you!!

As for precision, the only hitch is that I have to slide up to select lasso, then drag down/left to select- so the upper left corner of my lasso enclosure is a little more difficult to predict/control. I suppose I could get used to starting lower right.

The handles to slide notes, starts, ends, etc. are very clever and work really well.