Note entry system.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
uncle808us

Note entry system.

Post by uncle808us »

I would like some improvement in the note entry system.
I do most of my data entry in the score editor the problem is the tedious lag when you put the pen to paper.
In real life I put the pencil on the paper and draw the note in multi track studio I put the pen to the paper then have to wait… then enter the note this gets tedious.
Sometimes if I move the pen just a little I have to try to enter the note 3 maybe four times you have to put the pen on stay very still wait then enter the note like I say this is very tedious.
I don’t know about you but when I’m composing I don’t like to have to wait every time to enter note or try again and again if I move the pan just the slightest bit.
Please think of something else or some other way that will give a more flowing creative workflow.
I have tried to like this entry system since 2019 even bought an iPad and a pen to make it better but the lag is really bothersome.
I was in the middle of a composition and had to stop and come here to vent.
Thanks Giel for all your help and hard work and the vast improvements of course I will continue to support Multitrack studio to the best of my ability.
But the note entry gets to me. Only the lag.
Thank you very much I appreciate what you do and the difficulty of what you do.
stubbsonic wrote:on Feb 4th 2019;
“There is something mentally a little tiring about the "lag" of putting notes in, because the holding feels like time going by each time you have to hold a long press, especially if I'm doing it for a while.”
MisplacedDevelopment

Re: Note entry system.

Post by MisplacedDevelopment »

I guess you have the “Selector Delay” at its lowest setting? It would be nice to be able to make that value a bit smaller, especially when working with the pencil but from what you have said I am guessing that you would want a mode which lets you tap notes directly onto the screen? I think the desktop version has some of this separation, with different modes for selection and note entry but I can’t recall at the moment whether it lets you paint notes in directly.

I tend to use the Repeat or copy/paste note option if I know I’m entering a few notes of the same type and then I just need to move them around and adjust their length. The delay is not something that has caused me much problem personally but then I think my brain likes the extra bit of time to work out where it is going next. You must be much better at getting into the flow than me!

I also use StaffPad and that is a whole different level of frustration. That is where I learned to copy and paste existing notes and move them around rather than try and get its handwriting recognition to work.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

@ MisplacedDevelopment;
Yes I have the lag set as low as it will go but still if you move the pen slightly you are on select note not add note this is a problem as well as the lag.
And sometimes you must try several times. This is not helping creative flow if you have to spend time entering the notes. It’s like the lead falling out of a real pencil every time you want to write a note.
(think write a note lead falls out of pencil, lead falls out of pencil, lead falls out of pencil…)
Notion has pretty good handwriting. But no loop function.only repeat signs.
Also lacks a lot of cool stuff MTS has.
P.S. Just tested the Desktop ver of MTS. Pen entry perfect.
MultiTrackStudio Desktop Entry. So nice! Using Wacom Pen and my old Bamboo. touch a staff line instant note.
https://youtu.be/67BPsDjcYVU
Support

Post by Support »

I'll take a look at how the Pencil works in the MIDI editors. Can't promise anything yet though.

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Thank you very much Giel for taking a look at this,I have faith in you ingenuity. :idea: