New user: observations and feature requests

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
reesecameron

New user: observations and feature requests

Post by reesecameron »

Hi, I am getting used to this mobile daw and I think it’s probably the best one that I’ll end up using, however there are a few things I’m noticing right away that would make for a faster workflow:

1) per note velocity. When editing drums, I should be able to select just the high hat for example and draw a velocity curve for just those notes. Velocity does not appear in the “per note” section of the control menu. I love the bar style editor for drawing velocity curves, but it’s strange how I can’t edit only selected notes. N-track studio has this capability. Another improvement would be the scroll behavior when drawing velocity to the edge of the window. It appears to rapidly jump “page style” to the next window of velocities. A smooth scroll here would be nice instead.

2) Jump play head. I keep having to zoom all the way out from whatever I’m doing and find the play head to drag it to the desired area. The play head bar on top is too “coarse” to quickly and accurately get the play head in the right place. This could be resolved with a double tap in the editor window to jump the play head to the location where I double tap. I have used “select right” a ton for audio editing (timing corrections), so having the ability to quickly get the play head in position is very valuable for this workflow

So far this daw holds the most promise over the others. I’ll still probably use Auria pro for mixing but for composing I think this one takes the cake. I’ll continue to add to this thread if I find anything else. If the app already has the capabilities mentioned please let me know. Thank you
Support

Re: New user: observations and feature requests

Post by Support »

reesecameron wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am 1) per note velocity. When editing drums, I should be able to select just the high hat for example and draw a velocity curve for just those notes
Never thought of that.
BTW: you can select a part of the hihat and then tap EDIT (below the editor). There'a slider to change the selected note's velocity.
reesecameron wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am Another improvement would be the scroll behavior when drawing velocity to the edge of the window. It appears to rapidly jump “page style” to the next window of velocities. A smooth scroll here would be nice instead.
The jumping is caused by bars being added/removed because notes (in the drum editor) move in or out of view. This can cause many changes if you've zoomed out horizontally, so the bars don't fit the screen.
reesecameron wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am 2) Jump play head. I keep having to zoom all the way out from whatever I’m doing and find the play head to drag it to the desired area.
Looks like you've switched of the 'Follow' button (at the top of the screen). Are you sure that's what you want?

Giel Bremmers
reesecameron

Post by reesecameron »

Thanks for your reply!
Support wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 pm
Never thought of that.
BTW: you can select a part of the hihat and then tap EDIT (below the editor). There'a slider to change the selected note's velocity.
This helps a little but only allows me to turn all of the midi velocity for a given note up or down at once, it would be amazing if I could use an Apple Pencil to draw across for each bar of a selected note, and to ignore bars for the other notes
Support wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 pm The jumping is caused by bars being added/removed because notes (in the drum editor) move in or out of view. This can cause many changes if you've zoomed out horizontally, so the bars don't fit the screen.
Yes it would be great if the bars on the velocity editor responded to zoom so they could all fit into the view. The zoom level does not change for me in the velocity editor.
Support wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:18 pm Looks like you've switched of the 'Follow' button (at the top of the screen). Are you sure that's what you want?
Thanks for pointing that out! I should keep the follow turned on.
Support

Post by Support »

reesecameron wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:42 pm Yes it would be great if the bars on the velocity editor responded to zoom so they could all fit into the view.
That's not really an option I think: the bars need to be this wide so you can move them up/down using a finger.

Giel Bremmers
reesecameron

Post by reesecameron »

Good point. Sounds like a trade off for having the bar style editor. One thought could be to have the bar editor in the “per note” submenu and something similar to the velocity editor in n-track for when you need to see velocities for all notes, this way the window zoom could follow the parent midi editor, and still have the per note edit functionality. I’m showing in the piano roll here since n-track doesn’t have the awesome drum editor that MTS does :) Image
Support

Post by Support »

reesecameron wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:31 am One thought could be to have the bar editor in the “per note” submenu
That's an interesting idea. But this only makes sense for drums, so you'd need two velocity editors (the current one and a per-note one). That's a bit weird. Anyway, I've added to issue to the list of things to consider.

Giel Bremmers