Multi-timbale MIDI Player and MTS

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Drdrdaddeo

Multi-timbale MIDI Player and MTS

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

Sample Tank 2 is an excellent multitimbral MIDI Sample Playing iOS App which provides access to hundreds of high quality ipad samples and synthesized instruments. It is easily accessible from any external MIDI keyboard and can record and/or play back up to 8 different MIDI channels multitimbrally when used with most external MIDI sequencers. It also can be easily used as an IAA instrument app in MTS, providing access to a vast array of excellent sampled sounds for recording and playback in MTS. Unfortunately, it can only be used as a single instance within MTS, thus its multitimbral abilities seem inaccessible to MTS’s sequencer. Is their any mechanism whereby MTS can record on different tracks using different MIDI channels on each, then play the entire multitrack sequence output into the ipad’s Sample Tank app, taking advantage of its multitimbral capacity?

Thanks,
Drdrdaddeo
Support

Re: Multi-timbale MIDI Player and MTS

Post by Support »

I think you can use it in multiple tracks as a 'Virtual MIDI App'.

Giel Bremmers
Drdrdaddeo

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

Thanks Giel. You are absolutely correct. Sample Tank can be easily set up as a Virtual Midi App within MTS. It’s multitimbral mode will respond to channel assignments in each MTS MIDI track (up to 8 maximum), and play whatever instruments in Sample Tank are assigned to each channel number. Of note, the sound on MTS playback is only heard from the Sample Tank App itself, unless Audiobus 2 is first used to assign Sample Tank as its Input, and MTS as its output. Then Sample Tank’s multitimbral audio plays back and is heard perfectly though each of MTS’s MIDI tracks. However, I can’t figure out how to RECORD the actual audio output of each of those Midi tracts whenever Sample Tank is used as a vSam. When either MultitrackStudio Instruments or Sample tank (as a single instance IAA instrument) are used as sound generators, the “Copy to a new audio track” option becomes available, and the MIDI instrument audio can be recorded and saved as audio to a new track. However, when Sample Tank is used as Virtual Midi App, that track option does not become available. How do I actually RECORD the audio output of the respective multitimbral instruments played back into MTS from Sampletank when it is used as a virtual midi app?

Thanks,
Drdrdaddeo/Ken Hardy
Support

Post by Support »

You have to record it to audio track(s) yourself, using AudioBus.

Using Sample Tank takes you back to the early days of iOS audio :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
Drdrdaddeo

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

Oh, I see (said the blind man!). Yes, a NEW audio track must be created and then the AB (audiobus) record button is activated to record the audio playback of whatever MIDI tract or tracts are enabled. Very cool! This seems like an incredible epiphany to me, as the Sample Tank 2 App just has so many amazing electronic and acoustic instruments available for multitimbral use. In early iOS days I never really knew how to use Sample Tank properly, as the multitimbral feature confused and intimidated me. It’s probably like yesterdays newspaper to everyone else….I’m getting old!. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

Drdrdaddeo