MIDI ‘sidechaining’

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
prtr_jan

MIDI ‘sidechaining’

Post by prtr_jan »

There are a couple of audio effects that can be fed MIDI-notes to function. I’m thinking of vocoder FX like VoxSyn and VoiceBot (and AutoTune effects also).
Is there a possibility to be able to feed them MIDI from another track (some kind of MIDI-sidechaining) or from the keyboard and use the effects’ input for MIDI.

edit: a workaround for now is loading VoxSyn as an IAA-effect on the audiorack and then routing the MIDI from another track to it via a MIDI routing app like MIDI route (Audioveek). This doesn’t work for AUs and is a bit cumbersome..
Support

Re: MIDI ‘sidechaining’

Post by Support »

You can use such an AU plugin in a MIDI track's instrument slot, and then use (audio) sidechaining the route an audio track to it.

This only works if the tracks are playing back.

Giel Bremmers
prtr_jan

Post by prtr_jan »

Thank you!
I tried this and I only seem to be getting it to work by putting a MIDI effect slot before the vocoder app loaded as a MIDI instrument and being fed audio from an audiotrack via the sidechain. But now I cannot record my real-time playing (of the MIDI controller in the MIDI effect slot) to a track and play it back. When try to use the ‘regular’ keyboard (with practice play activated on the MIDI track) the audio no longer seems to be getting to the vocoder AU.
Maybe I’m still missing something?
Support

Post by Support »

This isn't possible. As I said, it only works for playback. So you can have an (existing) audio track, and add notes in the MIDI track editor. You can't record audio or MIDI.

Giel Bremmers
prtr_jan

Post by prtr_jan »

Ok thanks!
You’ve made a wonderful app!