Should I give MTS "exclusive control" of my audio device fulltime?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Saz

Should I give MTS "exclusive control" of my audio device fulltime?

Post by Saz »

Drilling down in the Windows 10 Sound Setting panel for both Playback and Recording settings, on the Default Device's "Properties" window there's an Advanced tab, with (among other things) an Exclusive Mode section. In it are 2 check-boxes with the following text...

[ ] Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.

[ ] Give exclusive mode applications priority

The answer to the next question should be obvious, but I'm still new with Windows 10 so, is there a problem leaving these unchecked, until starting a session? Other than forgetting to "re-check" them?

Thanks!
sinbad

Re: Should I give MTS "exclusive control" of my audio device fulltime?

Post by sinbad »

Giel would probably say Yes :mrgreen:
moxol

Post by moxol »

On Windows 7 they are checked by default.

I don't know what performance issues are when not checked, Giel will answer that, but I was wondering also if I could leave them unchecked so that I can use MTS and other audio software at the same time.
Support

Post by Support »

Saz wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:53 am The answer to the next question should be obvious, but I'm still new with Windows 10 so, is there a problem leaving these unchecked, until starting a session? Other than forgetting to "re-check" them?
I don't think that would be a problem. But why would you want to do that?

Giel Bremmers
Support

Post by Support »

moxol wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:35 am On Windows 7 they are checked by default.

I don't know what performance issues are when not checked, Giel will answer that, but I was wondering also if I could leave them unchecked so that I can use MTS and other audio software at the same time.
Exclusive mode is required for low latency.

In Windows 10 you can use the 'Shared Mode (Windows 10') option in Studio-->Devices. That allows for multiple programs to use audio at the same time, and latency is only a little bit higher.

In Windows 7 you can use the 'Windows XP' driver type in Studio-->Devices if you need to run multiple audio programs at the same time. But latency will be super high.

Giel Bremmers
Saz

Post by Saz »

Support wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:56 am
Saz wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:53 am The answer to the next question should be obvious, but I'm still new with Windows 10 so, is there a problem leaving these unchecked, until starting a session? Other than forgetting to "re-check" them?
I don't think that would be a problem. But why would you want to do that?
I use MTS not only as my DAW, but as my "guitar rig", if you will, hosting guitar amp simulators and plugin effects, etc. Of course I'm not recording all the time - a lot of time just jamming with videos, mp3's - but if I need to record in a hurry, I can just hit "record".
Support wrote: In Windows 10 you can use the 'Shared Mode (Windows 10') option in Studio-->Devices. That allows for multiple programs to use audio at the same time, and latency is only a little bit higher.
That's the kinda stuff I was looking for. So, how should I check the "Exclusive Mode" boxes?
Support

Post by Support »

Saz wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:48 pm So, how should I check the "Exclusive Mode" boxes?
I think they should be enabled.

Giel Bremmers
Saz

Post by Saz »

Support wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:02 am
In Windows 10 you can use the 'Shared Mode (Windows 10') option in Studio-->Devices. That allows for multiple programs to use audio at the same time, and latency is only a little bit higher
Well, I just checked and I don't have that option. I think maybe I did, because I was able to play WMP or other audio softwares and MTS together, up until a week or so ago. Maybe a Windows update bug changed things. :?
Support

Post by Support »

You need to choose the Windows driver type in Studio --> Devices.
Nothing that has been said in this thread applies to ASIO.

Giel Bremmers
Saz

Post by Saz »

Thanks for the clarification! That will save a lot of mental torture. :)