WARNING: MTS/DAW beginner questions

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NoTech

WARNING: MTS/DAW beginner questions

Post by NoTech »

Good Day,

I succeeded in downloading MTS Pro a couple days ago. The main reason I did so was due to the great success I had/have with the iPad edition.
I am a fan of MTS's minimal design and function, which makes it easy for a (general) DAW beginner like myself to learn basic DAW operation, without a spiderweb of additional and usually unnecessary 'extras'. I do however have a couple questions I hope could be solved here.. Otherwise be sure, if anyone thinks there are alternate sources of information I can learn from re; the ~simple basics~ of DAW operation and it's additions like MIDI and plugins, do let me know? Thanks.

1. Initial static clipping issues

My setup is simple for this intro: electric guitar with volume, overdrive and EQ (hardware) pedals, going into a Two Notes Le Clean preamp and into my Zoom U-22 portable interface, to my MacBook Pro. The Pro is not loaded with programs and has good RAM and memory. I shut down all other programs when working on MTS Pro.

I opened a new song and loaded a stereo sound file (WAV.?) of a song into the first track, then started my basic electric guitar track on the next.. When attempting to track I am getting lots of digital clipping (which I have I have heard before), when folks are having issues with sample rates and/or latency. I have tried resetting the latency anywhere between 1 and 23 (to 35?) and ~even up to 95~.. and am ~still~ getting the clipping.. especially as a note fades to low volume levels, though it seems to occur randomly. It's terrible. Mind you, I am a seasoned guitarist and have years of knowledge re; distortion in tracking etc.. This is not cable noise or external gear. As I get higher in latency #'s, obviously the latency increases which is not acceptable.. esp. when attempting a single (near naked) track with only two effects on it (reverb and EQ).

Would someone be available to explain what I may need to do to solve this issue, with as little latency addition as possible, if it is indeed that? NOTE: I am learning but am still struggling to understand simple basics like audio ins/outs*, MIDI settings, etc..

*Also regarding this question ^, I am unclear on audio in and out devices. If I am using my little Zoom U-22 as my interface, I assume I select that as the audio-in device..? However, I do not know what an 'audio out' device is; is that my computer? My headphones..? Am I supposed to add U-22 as the audio out device ~as well~, despite logic seeming it is obviously an audio-in device? 🤔

2. The Starting Basics Of Plugins and VST's

Part of the reason I got MTS Pro is so I can begin to learn and use the extra possibilities, like quality effect plugins, VST's (synths/pads/keys). As I have been trying to find a good 'pad' VST (essentially strings), it seems Native Instruments had the most usable ones, if not expensive. One I liked for it's total basic style was Hyperion Micro.. but it is only available in a package. That package must be bought, along with what I recall as 'Kontakt 6', a skin/installer program?
So, my question here is: when one is purchasing/downloading VSTs or Plugins online, do they always have to buy into additional 'installer' programs, etc.? I assume this is a varying thing- but would be curious if there are obvious sites/products experienced DAW users prefer.

3. Any obvious MTS initial setup actions/tips from other MB Pro users (I am still on High Sierra 10.13.6).

As one may read above I am learning, lol. Perhaps there are some basic do's and dont's folks may wish to offer here, to someone just starting up MTS Pro on a MacBook Pro, to save me/us time. My work is quite simple in its needs/execution but is of professional quality- so I am looking for very basic tips for fine audio quality 'workflow.'

4. Ps. How do I delete a track from a project once I've created it? Couldn't find that in the manual.

Thank you so much for reading- and hopefully I can get past the clipping, to beginning further work on Mr. Bremner's little creative monster! 😂

Cheers,
NoTech
rsrockinron

Re: WARNING: MTS/DAW beginner questions

Post by rsrockinron »

I can handle #4 for you. Right click just to the left of the track you want to delete and a pop up menu opens with two choices. "Add Label" and "Remove Track" This removes the track from the Song (Project) but keeps the file stored with the song. If you were to go to the multitrack studios folder and open the file for your song you would see the file. This is helpful if you decide that you want that track back you could reopen that tracks file. To remove the track completely, after you remove track from song. Click on Song and from the menu options click on save. Then click song again and click properties and another box will open and it will ask you if you want to clean up files and will give you the list of files that are not needed to play the song and if you want to delete them. Clean up all or some of them. This takes them permanently ut of your song and pc.....never to be seen again
NoTech

Post by NoTech »

Hey thank you R'n Ron! 👍🏼🙂
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Clipping occurs when the volume level of a track is too high. You can see it if you look at the wave form and see that the top is flattened. Not knowing anything about Macs I can't comment on your latency problem. There are normally two symptoms of latency, either you get dropouts in the sound if it is too low, or you can hear a delay between your input and what you hear. MTS will normally inform you should the latency be set too low for the computer too cope. As far as the audio out question, I am not sure what you mean. I use a focusrite unit with the asio driver, and by defining the audio device, in the dropdown menu "Audio Device" the audio output is via the focusrite unit as well. The rest is defined in windows, so it may be different in a Mac.
Support

Post by Support »

NoTech wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:51 pmI am unclear on audio in and out devices. If I am using my little Zoom U-22 as my interface, I assume I select that as the audio-in device..? However, I do not know what an 'audio out' device is; is that my computer? My headphones..? Am I supposed to add U-22 as the audio out device ~as well~, despite logic seeming it is obviously an audio-in device?
You should select the U-22 as audio out device, and plug the headphones in the U-22.

If the crackling is still present you can try the easy thing first: restart the MacBook.

Giel Bremmers
NoTech

Post by NoTech »

sinbad wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:17 am Clipping occurs when the volume level of a track is too high. You can see it if you look at the wave form and see that the top is flattened. Not knowing anything about Macs I can't comment on your latency problem. There are normally two symptoms of latency, either you get dropouts in the sound if it is too low, or you can hear a delay between your input and what you hear. MTS will normally inform you should the latency be set too low for the computer too cope. As far as the audio out question, I am not sure what you mean. I use a focusrite unit with the asio driver, and by defining the audio device, in the dropdown menu "Audio Device" the audio output is via the focusrite unit as well. The rest is defined in windows, so it may be different in a Mac.
Hi Sinbad,
I’ll take your advice and have a look at the waveform. When recording with any machines (or MTS on my iPad), clipping issues are avoided by not redlining recording levels.. This clipping is something occurring when in ‘practice play’ mode ~and~ in recording mode. It doesn’t really need a loud signal and is digital in nature. I believe it is a latency adjustment or sample rate problem.
MTS Pro (for IOS) has an audio-in and audio-out section in the ‘device’ menu.
Thanks for the reply- I shall keep working
NoTech

Post by NoTech »

Hi Giel,
Thank you.

I don’t know that I’ll be using the U-22’s headphone-out (which is a dry/direct signal), as any monitoring there would be lacking all your excellent effects, despite eliminating latency issues.

Are you able to comment any further on the possibility I may(?) need to adjust sample rates when tracking or something? My work at this level is so 1-track and simple, I can’t see the computer/MTS being overloaded in ~any~ way. As I mentioned above, MTS for iPad was without any latency ~or~ crackling (which occurs here* randomly and isn’t a level or overdrive issue) and worked great. I am wondering why the MacBook/MTS Pro combo* would do this.

I’ve restarted the computer every day with this and no change. I also updated the U-22 with new firmware today.

So far this is a mystery. I would be almost sure there’s something I am doing wrong in the computer’s device chain, unless the U-22 is such a rudimentary interface that it creates weird ‘data-catch-up’(?) static.. 🧐

I shall try selecting the U-22 as my audio-out device as well as the audio-in. I assume if I do that I’ll have to monitor out of the unit and get a dry signal? With the amount of tracking I hope to do, that would be a strong detriment.

Any further ideas appreciated!
Thank you,
NoTech
Support

Post by Support »

There's a Direct Monitor switch on the side of the U22. Turn if off to get rid of the dry signal, and you're left with the signal you want.

Giel
NoTech

Post by NoTech »

Thank you Giel, I'll try that and keep working on it!
Health-
NT