Can't Record on HP Omen Laptop

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
MurphySmoot

Can't Record on HP Omen Laptop

Post by MurphySmoot »

Hello all,
I started working with the free version of MultitrackStudio a few weeks ago on A Dell Lattitude laptop, and it worked like a charm. Then I dropped and destroyed the laptop (hard drive failed).
I now have an HP Omen Laptop, and any time I try to record an audio track, a window pops up and says "The selected Audio/midi devices cannot playback or record these tracks". I'm just using the speaker array and or Headphones for playback, and for recording, I'm just trying to use the built-in mic, which worked perfectly on the old Lattitude... On this new laptop, it appears to have Realtek(R) Audio, and "Microphone Array (Intel Smart Sound Technology).
I want to buy the full version of MultitrackStudio, but not until I can get it to work on this new computer. Given the great success I had using it on the old Dell with just the default settings, I don't think it's a problem with the app, but any advice on what I can do to get back up and running would be appreciated. I'm smack dab in the middle of recording some tracks for a friend...
Thanks much!
moxol

Re: Can't Record on HP Omen Laptop

Post by moxol »

Can you share screenshot of Devices in MTS?
MurphySmoot

Post by MurphySmoot »

Sure - I hate to be completely useless, but how do I insert a screenshot here? When I click the insert image button above, it just does this:

moxol

Post by moxol »

Post image on https://imgbb.com/ and then share a link.
MurphySmoot

Post by MurphySmoot »

Cool, let's see if this works...

https://ibb.co/yBGJs0S

Also, since I last posted, I've installed Asio on my computer. I can screen shot that device list if it helps - someone else was trying to get it set up for me, but after one success, plugging the headphones in messed everything up, so not sure what devices to have on vs off...
moxol

Post by moxol »

Did you try to select any Audio Driver type and it didn't work?
Saz

Post by Saz »

moxol wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:51 am Did you try to select any Audio Driver type and it didn't work?
If what moxol suggests doesn't work, try here...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03421813
MurphySmoot

Post by MurphySmoot »

Hey all - sorry for the delay, and thanks for all the help...

Here's a new screen shot of what the ASIO Control Panel says. It's 2 shots as I had to scroll down to show the end.

https://ibb.co/615Zg3v

This is the way it was left when the guy put ASIO on and was trying to get things goin, but had to leave. It now seems to be affecting my speakers for normal playback (which he said it wouldn't), and the bigger issue is I can't get the Microphone array to work with MultiTrack studio to record... If ASIO is the best solution, what's the best way to go about changing the selected devices so I can use the speakers or headphones for playback, and I can use the mic array for recording?

Or, if ASIO shouldn't be needed, I'm happy to take it back off and go to the regular default Realtek speakers and Mic array, but that wasn't working before (and there weren't any options to chose any other devices at that time).

As you can see, I'm a true computer novice, at least in the sense that I have not had much experience with having to make lots of changes to get apps to work. Usually I just download and go, and that's what happened on my old Lattitude before I killed it, and MultiTrack Studio was awesome and really easy to work with. I fear that the guy trying to help me out went too far to the tech side when there might be a simpler solution?

Anyway, TMI, and I'll stop my ranting and I'll be able to keep a better eye on the thread now... Thanks much!
MurphySmoot

Post by MurphySmoot »

PS - In Response to Moxol, before the ASIO, on that first screen shot I sent earlier in the week, I the only options seemed to be Default and Realtek Speakers or Default and Realtek Microphone Array, so not sure if there's another way to get there...

Thanks
Saz

Post by Saz »

Did you run the Audio Check in HP Support Assistant?

If so, what did it report?
MurphySmoot

Post by MurphySmoot »

It says "No Issues Found" for everything down the board.

For devices, it has 1 Enabled (Default Speaker), and 2 Enabled (Default Microphone)

3-7 all say "Unplugged", and I imagine those are the 3.5mm and some USB ports (3 and & are Realtek, 4-6 are NVIDIA).

When I first tried the test, the speaker didn't work, then it repaired it. But doesn't seem to help the Multitrack..,
Saz

Post by Saz »

MurphySmoot wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:41 am Or, if ASIO shouldn't be needed, I'm happy to take it back off and go to the regular default Realtek speakers and Mic array, but that wasn't working before (and there weren't any options to chose any other devices at that time).
First, is this a new laptop? Looks like it's running Windows 10?

I would try things again, without ASIO. If that doesn't work, try updating your default audio drivers (see... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03421813 ). If that doesn't work, try ASIO again.

Let us know what happens.
MurphySmoot

Post by MurphySmoot »

Thanks - Yes, it's a new computer... Didn't work before with the Realtek drivers, so got ASIO and here I am, I'll try to start over and see what happens...

Multitrack is seriously a great program, so I'm keen to use it, even tempted to get a different computer... The few weeks I had it on my previous laptop, it was easy to work with, easy to figure out, and did a great job with the audio recordings... reminded me of recording with a 4-track, which I liked.

I'll take ASIO back off, reset the Realtek, and get back to you on what transpires...

Really, thanks so much for chiming in...