Is my laptop good enough for MTS?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
scottieboy

Is my laptop good enough for MTS?

Post by scottieboy »

I desperatley want to get a new recording software and MTS seems to be the easiest, and contains the least amount of bugs, and/or updates.

Can I expect to record my guitar through my 3.5mm mic jack with this laptop....

-Toshiba Satellite Intel 1.5Ghz Processor

-448 RAM (I think the computer reserves some of the 512 for something)

-60 GB Hard Drive

-Realteck AC97 SoundCard. (I will upgrade to an external USB if needed)

-I'm pretty sure it has midi playback. I can use my keyboard to enter
notes into GuitarPro5.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I don't know how the guitar signal works in a MIC input but you can use the lite version for free so just try it. As far as the pc goes you should have no problems, it only starts to get hairy when you are mixing alot of tracks along with sw synths and effects. The internal sound card will give you max 16bit, which is ok for starters. If you want 24bit you'll have to go extern, but beware, most entry level external cards don't have built in midi, only the interface, so you'll need sw synth or sampler. There are many roads to go down, the tascam u122 seems to be quite popular in the usb camp. try ebay. If you're new to recording you can't go wrong with mts. There is sw with more features, but what use if they don't work? There are more than enough there to keep most people happy. Most important it's stable so you won't waste any time with software. Have fun.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Sinbad's telling you fair and square.

While you don't have the best setup, you don't have the worst either.

What OS are you running on that Toshiba?

Seriously, of all the softwares available these days, I'd say that MTS would be the best option for you hands down, it should prove to be the most robust one you could run on that laptop.

Laptop is a problem with multitracking, there are problems to be found with disk speed, sometimes IRQs, which are a $%#^@ to change on a laptop if possible to do at all, matter of fact Toshibas are one of the worst as far as that goes, but you shouldn't worry about a problem unless it happens to you, get that USB sound device and try it first, check the IRQ table after installation and if you don't see any IRQ conflicts it is a done deal, not to worry about.

If you aren't needing high track counts and lots of effects, you should be able to get some good work done without throwing any money at the hardware other than a good sound device, especially with MTS.

I'd get the program and try it first, see what can be done.

Approach any problems only if they rare up in front of you, this forum is the place to bring them to find out what you can do to solve them.

--Mac
scottieboy

Post by scottieboy »

scottieboy wrote:I am very new to recording on my computer, I just use the free Audacity now. I have been recording guitar thru the mic input with no problems. But no effects. :(

I do want to get MTS for recording multi-track projects, but the main reason I wanted it though was for the effect it offers, such as the compressor, EQ, reverb, etc...

Will my computer run into problems then?

BTW, I'm using Windows XP SP2. I like playing games, and have lots of programs on my laptop. I know that there is such thing as creating different profiles.....I dont know how to do it though. i was thinking I could do that, and use this profile and turn basically everything except MTS off, so that to free up my CPU for recording...... anyone that can help with that?
scottieboy

Post by scottieboy »

Mac wrote:
I'd get the program and try it first, see what can be done.

Approach any problems only if they rare up in front of you, this forum is the place to bring them to find out what you can do to solve them.

--Mac

Thanks, I will give it a try and see if I can get up and running.....

Another question as I think further....

Do you think it's really worth it to spend an extra $50 for a Firewire PC Card and get a FW Audio Interface with this laptop? Or should I just save my money and maybe just purchase a newer, more capable computer for recording sometime in the future?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

It's a case of suck it and see. If you have lots of money then invest in the very best equipment, which doesn't always mean the most expensive, and a dedicated pc, laptop or tower doesn't make much difference these days. If on the other hand you are on a small to normal budget just get into it and learn from experience. By the way you migt have a look at http://www.musicxp.net/ to optimise your pc for music. A dedicated pc is great but most of us have everything in one box. Don't worry about profiles and all that, just remember to switch everything off before you start recording. If you enjoy it then think about getting a quicker drive (7200RPM) internal or external(firewire). It is said that only a bad workman will blame his tools. IMHO a standard pc and sound card in the right hands today can give results that were unheard of even in professional circles 20 years ago (exceptions excluded of course). Don't take it too serious and enjoy, that's what music is for.
scottieboy

Post by scottieboy »

thanks for that bit of advice. I just want to do this for fun. And if I can make due with what I already have, than that is exactly what I'll do. I will also visit that site to see how to optimize my comp for recording. thanks~