Routing external MIDI controller to VST effect

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
hschultz1960

Routing external MIDI controller to VST effect

Post by hschultz1960 »

In MTS I load in a VST3 synth plugin (OB-X) and assign it to a MIDI channel. In the synth UI I select a particular voice, say a lead synth.
The synth plays nicely when the connected MIDI keyboard is played, all is good.

Now say I have an additional external physical MIDI controller, like a pad, which has a rotary control knob.
I would like to use that knob to control the VCF cutoff frequency in the synth VST plugin, a typical usage scenario for live performance.
I am trying to figure out how to accomplish that, but have come up short after reading the manual and searching the forum here.

The pad can likely be programmed to send any type of MIDI Control Change message when the knob is moved.

1) Given this, do I need to know which "controller number" that targets the VST plugin VCF cutoff frequency, i.e. look it up in the VST instrument documentation?

2) Or are there standard MIDI controller messages for e.g. VCF1, VCF2, VCF3, etc. so I don't have to study the VST plugin MIDI implementation?

3) Should the pad send messages on the same MIDI channel as the VST plugin, and how does that work with MTS ... are externally incoming MIDI messages routed to the corresponding track for that MIDI channel?

Anything else I should know about in this regard?

All input is appreciated, links to docs too :-) And pardon me if I missed some obvious place to look.

Thanks - Henrik, Copenhagen, Denmark
Support

Re: Routing external MIDI controller to VST effect

Post by Support »

hschultz1960 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:25 pm 1) Given this, do I need to know which "controller number" that targets the VST plugin VCF cutoff frequency, i.e. look it up in the VST instrument documentation?
That would work. You don't need to worry about MIDI channels: MultitrackStudio will respond to any channel as long as you're recording just a single MIDI track simultaneously.
hschultz1960 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:25 pm 2) Or are there standard MIDI controller messages for e.g. VCF1, VCF2, VCF3, etc. so I don't have to study the VST plugin MIDI implementation?
Try controller 74 or 71.
hschultz1960 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:25 pm The pad can likely be programmed to send any type of MIDI Control Change message when the knob is moved.
You can map incoming controllers in the Keyboard Mapper: https://multitrackstudio.com/midirecord ... oardmapper

Giel Bremmers
hschultz1960

Post by hschultz1960 »

Thanks Giel, much appreciated! I will try that.

On a follow-up note (no pun intended ..) is it possible to remote control MTS itself this way, e.g. using a pad during live performances for changing track recording status, soloing, muting and transport control? I read that there is a remote controller app, but can anything be done via MIDI controls?

Thanks - Henrik
Support

Post by Support »

hschultz1960 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:13 pmOn a follow-up note (no pun intended ..) is it possible to remote control MTS itself this way, e.g. using a pad during live performances for changing track recording status, soloing, muting and transport control? I read that there is a remote controller app, but can anything be done via MIDI controls?
Yes, it's the 'remote control' feature. See https://multitrackstudio.com/controlsurface.php (this is just the first page of the Remote Control chapter).

Giel Bremmers